How about some homework on aluminum?

US decries its reduction in output. It once produced a larger percentage of the world's output.

2 things you need. Bauxite as raw material, and am abundant source of cheap energy.
If you have those you can make aluminum.

Well you can recycle it...and the US does that well from what I see....but the "new stuff" goes into planes and such that need high controlled quality inputs

Until you can physically move Quebec's cheap hydro power generation, you have no comparative advantage.
You are better to import it and sell us back planes and all things fabricated with aluminum...where you have a comparative advantage

I expect the ONLY result will be that the prices of anything made of aluminum will go up.
The US gov't will collect the tariff...and it is UNLIKELY you will increase domestic production by much.
Lots of up front costs and such....and then you have to secure your sources of bauxite

BTW, Alcoa, a US company, and Rio Tinto, a British-Australian company own most of our smelter capacity.

How about some homework on Canadian defence by the US umbrella that Lutnick scoffed at yesterday?

In the same way the US guaranteed Ukrainian teritorial integrity in 1994, Canada had its own episode.
In the late 1950's Canada was building the most advanced fighter jet in the world, superior to anything made in the USA or anywhere else for that matter.
Google Avro Arrow
In the end, we gave that up because the USA wanted to use its BOMARC missiles as a continental shield....and base some in Canada.... and did not want us building that plane.
What is a really interesting consequence is that there was a brain drain to the USA that then helped put a man on the moon.
I happen to the story as I know one of those engineers who moved there.

So....we gave you reasons to develop BOMARC, let your fighter jet industry prosper without our stiff competition, and helped you put a man on the moon.
At the same time we began buying most of our defence capability from the US....with agreements to build components here as well.
Now you are upset at this.


If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop