Originally Posted by mattbanx
Mike:

Yes! Solid timing.

I have loads of tracks with manufactured samples that do that.
On the net that is 1,000 times easier.
No need to even pick up the instrument.

My way of seeing it is there are a lot of crafty musicians that have that click way of doing things, whether it be with a track or in general.
Then there are those that move in their own way.
May not fit in to a box or would fit in to a musicians click, yet the typical listener (non musician) digs it.

Some do not have the skill for the life of them to play a chord, yet have a lot of artistic drive.

That does'nt mean do not try and have form.
I would not be here relying on my hands with the instruments and thoughts for that to be crucified and picked apart if I did'nt believe in some type of form.

But from what I have experienced, that has more to do with what musicians clicks like, not listeners in general.

I don't have the gene for technique, but for me it is zero sum.
I am not going to learn anything period relying on imitation or gadgetry.

Matt

Those samples aren't gonna help your timing really.

But we may be on the wrong page. smile I don't really understand your reply lol but that has happened before.
YOU play with your hands live correct? Your body including your hands have obvious timing difficulties.

When you have decent timing you usually have it on EVERYTHING you touch. Just like when your a very MUSICAL person it applies to everything you touch. Sometimes the instrument is not easy for us too play so we struggle or can't execute well etc..

But when we play that instrument even very simply we play in time first. Time is HALF of music. Melody/Meter

There is no other way too see it really. smile

Anybody who plays who doesn't develop decent timing never sounds very good. Then he or she can't play with others in a band.
The only bands they land in are ones with others who don't do it either and never complain about it to the others smile This way the problem of not sounding good never arises. smile

If your gonna use your fingers to play drums like a drum machine on a keyboard, play to a click or better yet program the beats exactly as you like. This way the bass line you lay down next will not be swimming all around.

We can sing with bad timing to, in infects everything once it starts..

If your in a 70's like punk rock band none of this applies. smile
Your bandmates and your fans don't know it or care! smile Now there's a sweet gig..

Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com