I have used click tracks on occasion. One of the (few) things I use Audacity for is generating click tracks.

When I was recording stuff with the Internet band The Collaborators, we used click tracks all the time, to keep people in time. The click tracks were always deleted in the final mix, of course.

I am particularly bad myself at staying in time. i tend to speed up (guess I've played with too many drummers), and a click track tends to get in the way of my doing that. Since I'm after a live feel for nearly everything I record, I don't mess with click tracks. EXCEPT--if I'm sending a piece to someone else, who's going to record something extra to it (or vice versa--if I'm adding something to what someone else did), I will have a short click thing right at the beginning. (And then eliminate it in the rest of the song.)

The clicks help whoever's doing the mixing line things up; if you've got the clicks on every track, it is possible for a tone-deaf person like me to line things up *visually*, without caring what they sound like, and know for sure everything's in the right place.

So they have their uses.

Joe