Critique for AI March 30, 2011 Elton John Songs

Scotty McCreery, "Country Comfort" He picked the song because it had the word "Country" in it. When he sang it, you could believe it was an Alan Jackson song not an Elton John song. The kid is, so far, learning just enough to stay in there. He is the most disadvantaged contestant left because his song choices are limited as long as the rules are that he has to sing a particular artist songs, or a partucilar genre. He only does country- that's it. He would be doomed if it were not for the fact that previous AI winner Carrie Underwood is so successful in Country.

Naima Adedapo, "I'm Still Standing" She knew she was taking a chance because it is not a Reggae number but she made the verses work perfectly with Reggae but the chorus, especially the hook line "I'm still standing" was very weak. She is good enough to stay around and she is comfortable and easy to watch.

Paul McDonald, "Rocket Man" This was embarrassingly pitiful. Paul has been using his unique vocal characteristic to conceal the fact that he has absolutely no range what-so-ever. He and Thia should finally depart tonight.

Pia Toscano, "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me"She is the real deal and if there is anything wrong with the girl it is that there is nothing wrong with her. What do I mean by that? She has no personality quirks which may relate to "no personality" in some minds.

Stefano Langone, "Tiny Dancer" A very good song choice for him and he sang it very well. He stayed very close to the original and did it justice. He doesn't generate a lot of excitement but he is very good and belongs in the top 10.

Lauren Alaina, "Candle in the Wind" I love the fact that she doesn't know how good she is. She hates to lose and is stubborn but even still, she does not know what she is "channeling". She sings with the emotional maturity of Aretha Franklin, and then when she stops singing she giggles like a school girl (which is what she is) like she just pulled one over on us. Her natural talent is just a beautiful thing to behold. She will still be here when the top 3 are announced.

James Durbin, "Saturday Night's All Right" I hope this kid doesn't break his leg when he jumps off the stage, on to the piano, off the piano etc. Personally I didn't care for the song but it doesn't matter, he was in his element and I pick him to be in the top 3 when they are announced.

"Thia Meg "Daniel" Please, please send her home tonight. I love the song Daniel but she didn't even come close to nailing it. Well, at the very end, she delivered a very touching refrain but I don't think she is emotionally sincere when she sings compared to Lauren who always appears to be.

Casey Abrams, "Your Song" He could sing this song so perfectly he could put goose bumps on us, but he cannot stop himself from messing around. He is like Willy Nelson in concert who gets bored with his stuff and is compelled to change it up until you wonder what he is singing. Well Casey did dial it down and trimmed his beard so he is safe this week. But he still messed around too much. If he goes early, it won't be because he lacks talent, it will be because he can't help tampering with the song. The last note (a major 9th apparently) was a little shocking to the ear at first until you see that he knew exactly what he was doing. this kid will probably end up a composer or producer as well as a recording artist. But he will never be the American Idol winner. Yeah, I think the shaggy beard did him in last week.

Jacob Lusk, "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word" When I watch him sing, I feel sometimes like he is on the verge of breaking down emotionally. He gets way too far into his songs I think. But he is good and belongs where is. I wish he had picked another song. Maybe he should have sung Rocket man- I would have liked to hear him slide his voice up two octaves!

Haley Reinhart, "Bennie and the Jets" Biggest surprise for me. I think her producer deserves a lot of credit for recognizing here vocal "tricks" and applying all of them to this song. She growls, she slide easily into falsetto (her yodel skills) and slithers around until Steven Tyler is panting. In short, she was very intertaining. She wants to win really really bad- so who knows what she will pull out of the box to get what she wants.

My favorite performances: the girls take it tonight

1 Lauren Alaina, "Candle in the Wind"
2 Haley Reinhart, "Bennie and the Jets"
3 Pia Toscano, "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me"
4 Casey Abrams, "Your Song"
5 James Durbin, "Saturday Night's All Right"

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein