Mike,

I don't think you understand very much about what it is I do for a living. I actually work almost exclusively with people who just want to write. I am involved in helping them in their goals to make them better writers. And no,not everyone wants to be a hit Nashville songwriter. I don't want to be a hit Nashville songwriter.I want to write the best songs I can and teach by example. But almost every one that comes to Nashville, gets on these threads, and work at writers, generally want some exposure to the industry in some way shape or form. That is reality.
I am making no aspersions on Lucian's talent or Charachter, or any physical problems he might have. and if it seems like that I apologise. If you knew me or my works you would know that I am the last person to do that.
I respond to people's comments about process and try to give them some ideas of what to expect. When I talk about "people like Lucian come to Nashville" i mean people that don't get far from their own door yet are wanting people in the industry or in the public to "discover them through the internet.' Some might,but without some kind of contact with the public, the chances of that are very slim just due to the amount of traffic on the Internet.
I am not trying to preach Nashville or the music business. I am trying to show the "other side of the desk" which is what people come to this town for. If it doesn't apply to those who are not interested in it, they should ignore what I am saying. Everyone has their own methods. Some are new and innovative and some are as old as music itself.
People come to Nashville primarily because it is a fairly easily navicable community of like minded individuals. It is not just country. It is blues, rock, soul, R&B, Rap, hip hop and Christian and pretty much all things in between. But one of the main reasons they come is because almost all other forms of music are self contained. which means there is almost no chance for outside cuts. It is a do it yourself world.
What I am attempting to do is show the pros and cons and provide some insight to what it is here. They are usually not going to Europe, Asia, Austrailia, or other countries or other towns in the US. They come here. And they come usually becauase they can't find the sense of community in their own neighborhoods. At least that is what they tell me. That is why I address things in Nashville. For the people who are interested in it. Those who are not interested in it don't have to listen to anything I or anyone else says. I am not the last word. Just one of them.
And even if people are not trying to be an artist, writer or conformist, that is fine. But the second they step into the arena of ideas, at least as far as it goes here, there are rules and etticate that apply. No one has to learn or adhere to them. But it makes things a lot easier when they do.

MAB