|
7 members (Guy E. Trepanier, CTthomas, texritter, Gary E. Andrews, Sunset Poet, Everett Adams, 1 invisible),
21,252
guests, and
5,554
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,700 Likes: 2
Top 100 Poster
|
OP
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,700 Likes: 2 |
Thanks for taking the time to comment, Japov.  A long time indeed! Had to smile at your mention of the structure. I know it’s a weird one. For some strange reason I can only write my lyrics vertically, with breaks at the places that sound – to me – natural. Even though I know vocalists might prefer longer, horizontal lines. One long-time collaborator in Scotland told me he always turns my vertical lines into horizontal ones for himself before he starts composing and singing.  I agree with you about the bridge, and will adjust it accordingly. About the hook: To me, the suggested change sounds too close to an image of actual physical abuse. I felt the idea of a heart being beaten up was a catchy angle. Though I hope others will chime in on this. ----- Kay-lynn, I understand the reluctance. But a lyric without music can be assessed on the basis of a few things: for instance, are the rhyme scheme and the metering consistent; are concrete details – furniture – provided to add texture and to appeal to the senses; is it too wordy/too sparse; is the narrative relatable; do the words that were chosen reflect the genre or the intended vibe; are the characters 3-dimensional and likeable (or at least arouse some kind of emotion); have any of the six ‘friends’ (who/what/when/where/why/how) been incorporated; are clichés or mixed metaphors present; are there too many filler words, and so on. These are probably the kinds of things you consider when you’re creating your own songs. I know you to be a good writer. If readers feel a lyric looks silly on paper, it’s really helpful for the writer to know why, even if the reason is a minor one. Some things can easily be adjusted that aren’t dependent on the music. Because ‘Bruised’ is intended for a collaborator, I didn’t want to Sunofy it first. Mainly because I know Suno would likely do a great job, and I’d fall in love with it.  If that happened, it might bias me against anything the collaborator came up with. Also, I want to make sure the lyric is in reasonable shape before I hand it over. Then he and I can talk about it, and whether it works for him. If it doesn’t … thank goodness there’s Suno. 
Honour the Earth. Without it, we'd be nowhere.
Life is too important to take seriously.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,050
Posts1,185,699
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|