Good point Andrew!
I think something needs to be done about these "evasive" kinds of category listings. I believe there must be a better approach waiting to be developed; something that allows the majority of the voters (judges) to decide exactly what category a song should best fit into, or at least if there's a serious doubt or question.

Solving the "misplaced channel" problem:
Let's say you hear something that obviously should be in a diff. channel, then you could suggest (in the voting process) that it should move to channel "x" from a pull-down list. The options would include everything available, so that would make it easy for the OurStage admin team to manage.

If more than 50% of the voters suggest a diff. channel for any song, it automatically MOVES over to that channel.

Within a few days, every song on the site would pretty much be "slotted" into the best (most appropriate) channel without it "punishing" artists for not knowing how to best categorize their entries. Same goes for videos and to go one step further, OurStage could also allow "write-in" channels to help create NEW channels on-the-fly according to popular demand.

For example, they could offer write-ins for primary or sub-genre channels. I think this better accomodates music in creative new styles and formats. This is needed because the best artists have always helped create new styles which haven't been defined before, at least not until after a lot of artists have started to copy them. Since that is part of the creative pattern, why not encourage it rather than bottle-neck it?

Michael

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself. -- Johann Sebastian Bach

MichaelBorges.com
LicenseQuote.com