Originally Posted by niteshift
Hey Michael,

About 10 yrs back, I would never consider using loops and samples in finished production.

These days ? They're so damn spot on the money, and it's simply not worth the hassle and the time to mic up really simple stuff in a studio, where all you need is a guy strumming a guitar, or simple piano chords.

I think they are a fantastic tool in the toolbox, BUT should only be used as a production tool, and not a replacement for good writing and arrangement.

If you know the theory and structure of music, and know how a string section, or a brass section actually sounds, then for simplistic notation and arrangement, and knowing how to produce a tune, I see no bother. It makes your work quicker, with beautiful tonal results.

If however, you wish to put forward an orchestra, without any knowledge how to score a piece, the outcome is obvious.

Cheating ? Not really, just using the tools available.

cheers, niteshift

Hi niteshift,

I totally agree with everything you say, although I've been using samples and loops, here and there since the mid-eighties. I remember when a bandmate bought one of the first samplers to come out--that created a musical Renaissance for awhile, just in terms of the creative fun one could have with sound manipulation.

When you say, they are "tools in the toolbox" you are hitting the nail on the head.

I only ask if any think it's "cheating" or if sample/loops users are "lazy" because there is a contingency of folks that indeed have a low opinion of those that use these tools.

But I'm glad I started this thread cuz I can see that most are in agreement with you and me--these are just tools. They don't replace good musicianship by any means--there are no tools that do that..but BIAB and virtual instruments can certainly help get musical ideas across, and do so anytime, anywhere..they have there place in the pantheon of music making, that's for sure!

Mike

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)