Originally Posted by sjames17
No doubt that somebody good can use BIAB very well and sound very good, but I dont think it's a matter of people just "Accepting" the sound. The average listener rates all music by how it sounds. If you dont sound as full and as vibrant and clean as major artists on the radio, then they dont think you are as good. They may not know why they dont think its as good, they just know that it doesnt sound as good as the music they buy...or steal

To me its not the idea of using samples. Its the idea that no matter what you do, BIAB will only be a nice sounding demo maker

With each day that passes, these software developers are closing the gap between what BIAB will produce and what is produced in a good studio by good people.

I disagree with you that an average listener can tell the difference (in many cases) between studio produced tracks and what Michael would produce. I'm not saying that top grade mics and an engineer that has been great with ProTools for years won't be more sophisticated etc...I don't know.
But the difference in the resultant sound for many songs, particularly singer-songwriter stuff, won't be perceptible to an average listener....imo.

Martin