Who's Online Now
10 members (bennash, texritter, Michael W. Brown, KyleCrawford, Gary E. Andrews, Bill Draper, Guy E. Trepanier, Sunset Poet, 2 invisible), 48,288 guests, and 5,625 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
What's Going On
Mark Berry of AMG
by bennash - 09/30/26 08:22 PM
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
THEY GOOFED AGAIN
by Rob B. - 09/30/26 06:11 PM
It's All An Illusion
by Rob B. - 09/30/26 04:08 PM
The Image In My Head
by Bill Draper - 09/30/26 03:06 PM
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
rosecoloredworld
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:01 PM
Patrizia Jazz Vocalist
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:24 AM
Red Bicycle Hall, Madison IN
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:13 AM
My Heart Stop Beating And Said Damn You
by bennash - 09/29/26 10:16 PM
Good Morning America
by bennash - 09/29/26 07:53 PM
Money Money
by Rob B. - 09/28/26 06:23 PM
Bayside, Charleston SC
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 08:32 AM
Valerie June
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 01:34 AM
Ground Shaker, Switzerland
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 12:21 AM
Greyshadow
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 09:54 PM
Via Castello
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:40 PM
Gilla Band
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:32 PM
Abigail Rose
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:15 PM
Jamison Wake
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 09:48 AM
Soliloquy Records
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 01:42 AM
John Andrews & the Yawns
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 01:19 AM
Mission Bayfest Presented by SMKFLWR
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 12:13 AM
Cassandra Coleman
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/25/26 09:23 PM
Macey City Soundtrack
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/25/26 04:40 PM
Where is the morality of the young people going?
by bennash - 09/25/26 11:10 AM
Another Chance To Love
by Rob B. - 09/25/26 09:01 AM
Is Sync Music Going to Hell...
by bennash - 09/25/26 01:54 AM
Moxie Events, Chillicothe
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/24/26 09:26 PM
Great Lakes Acoustic Music Association, Kalamazoo
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/24/26 08:45 PM
Top Posters
Calvin 19,858
Travis david 12,380
Kevin Emmrich 10,943
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,649
Joice Marie 9,186
Fdemetrio 9,129
Mackie H. 9,003
glynda 8,688
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
couchgrouch 8,240
Colin Ward 7,911
Corey 7,357
Sunset Poet 7,151
Vicarn 6,916
Mark Kaufman 6,589
ben willis 6,114
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,700
bennash 4,564
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,389
Roy Cooper 4,303
MFB III 4,237
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,195
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,172
nightengale 4,096
E Swartz 4,029
beechnut79 3,878
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,845
Dan Sullivan 3,710
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,901
Nigel Quin 2,891
Harriet Ames 2,870
MidniteBob 2,764
Nelson 2,616
Tom Tracy 2,558
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,247
Wendy D 2,236
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
maccharles 2,134
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,041
Rob B. 2,024
DukeWill 2,009
floyd jane 1,985
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,653
VNORTH2 1,652
Noel Downs 1,633
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
GocartMoz 1,559
Bill Draper 1,556
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,481
Tom Franz 1,479
David Gill 1,462
IronKnee 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Rick Norton 1,435
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Deej56 1,419
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,409
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,294
lane1777 1,280
Gerry 1,280
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,235
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
summeoyo 1,174
ckiphen 1,162
Diane Ewing 1,162
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
9ne 1,035
WesRyan 1,018
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
90 dB 964
Wolvman 960
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
ant 798
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Irwin 755
Andy Kemp 751
Andy K 750
tbryson 737
Jackie444 731
Pat Hardy 704
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Moosesong 679
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
R&M 614
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 590
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
BB Wilbur 529
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
Rob L 439
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
ddreuter 394
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Alek 386
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Ann_F 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
papaG 353
Z - man 350
JamesDF5 348
John K 348
Jaden 344
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 294
markus-ky 294
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
Char 286
ktunes 285
Top Likes Received
bennash 146
Fdemetrio 101
Rob B. 100
VNORTH2 68
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
OP Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Hi folks. I made a small 1 minute video for 'John Lawrence Schick' for his brother, and did this sort of explanation of how the video was built up, just in case others want to have a go themselves. I hope that its useful. Just a few pointers...

I used two programs. Photoshop 7 (yes I am still using an older version) and Sony Vegas for the video editing.



For those who are thinking of following my path, here is a short lowdown of the processes that I used.

It all started with a picture of the house that I found under a creative commons attribute.

[Linked Image]

Using photoshop, I straightened the image saved it onto a new layer (so that it was floating).
I then cut away the upper background, where the sky is and carefully cut around all of the cables and telegraph pole.
I also cropped the image to lose the right hand section as it was superfluous and cutting around bushes is never easy..lol

[Linked Image]

Then I found a 'full moon' image again creative commons and searched on youtube for 'moving clouds greenscreen creative commons' and found a 10 sec clip of exactly that. Free to use.

I created two layers under the house layer, and added the stationary moon onto one with the moving clouds between the moon and house layer.
After altering the speed and opacity of the clouds, I had the house with a full moon and the clouds moving in the background.

[Linked Image]

I then added 3 layers above the house layer for the attic lights on, the curtains on the attic windows and the ghost woman who appears at the window.

I made the curtain layer almost transparent, so that the lights layer would shine through them, and also allow the woman to appear behind the curtains.

In the image I have put a blue background to show the content of each layer.

By doing it on layers, it allowed me to switch layers off and on as the video ran. So lights on and off, and woman appearing and vanishing at will.

[Linked Image]

Because the original house image had the downstairs lights on, to achieve the same effects as I did with the attic windows, I made another 3 layers above the others.

But instead of having a layer to add light, I did 1 layer to cover the lights and two other layers for the downstairs ghosts who appear at different times.

No need for curtains as the original house image already had curtains, however to make the ghosts appear behind the glass and curtains I made a layer of the lights on to go in front of the ghosts, and by making that layer almost transparent, the ghosts seem to be behind the glass.

[Linked Image]

I then did the picket fence on another layer, the fence I created in Photoshop, using bits of old fences from creative commons images.

I also made the two signs in the same way by combining bits of old wood.

And so the final was finished and I then added the text that 'John' had sent to me.

I tried many types of text before settling on plain text so as not to distract from the background scene.

For the text on the two signs I found a great online site that lets you create the fancy text and make the background transparent. again FREE.

http://eu4.flamingtext.co.uk/

If the background of the text is made transparent, and saved as a png file, it really is useful. There is a limit on length, but it easy to join text images together in Photoshop.

I used it to make the text on the two signs and also the text on the youtube thumbnail image.

[Linked Image]

Finally I felt that the video needed a intro effect and end effect to liven it up a bit and add a bit of magic.

I searched on youtube for "video intro green-screen Sony Vegas creative commons" and came across a great guy who creates intros for Vegas and lets you download the files to adapt them in your own Vegas to suit your needs... free to use as well.

I removed some elements of it and thats what you see in the first few seconds of the video and near the end of the video.

Anyway this is a compressed version of the making of the video, whereas in reality, it was a lot more work to arrive there. At one stage I had 35 layers open, and ended up with 301 files. just under 4 GB of data.

[Linked Image]

I hope this explanation helps others wanting to do a bit of video work.

God Bless Roy and Helen


'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,898
Likes: 89
Top 10 Poster
Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,898
Likes: 89
Wow! A lot of steps to the process Roy. I'm sure your thread will be most helpful for those wanting to make videos.One thing else... Roy likes to work from a music track. I told Roy, I understand, I like to compose music from a video or photo. grin

Best, John wink

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,911
Likes: 1
Top 30 Poster
Offline
Top 30 Poster
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,911
Likes: 1
Very nice, Roy. One question..... Is there a way to switch layers on and off in the video editing program or do you save the various versions in Photoshop as JPEGS and then place them in the video as needed to show the lights coming on, etc.?

Thanks


Colin

I try to critique as if you mean business.....

http://colinwardmusic.com/

http://rosewoodcreekband.com/


Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,916
Likes: 9
Top 40 Poster
Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,916
Likes: 9
Some neat tips there Roy.

Vic


It's never too late? Yes it is, so do it now.

If, given time, a monkey can write the complete works of Shakespeare maybe there's hope for me.

http://store.cdbaby.com/cd/vicarnold2

http://www.soundclick.com/vicarnold

http://soundcloud.com/vic-arnold

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
OP Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Colin Ward
Very nice, Roy. One question..... Is there a way to switch layers on and off in the video editing program or do you save the various versions in Photoshop as JPEGS and then place them in the video as needed to show the lights coming on, etc.?

Thanks


Thanks for having a look Colin and a good question.

The image below shows the start of the layers, and it's the same as music editing, each element has its own layer on the timeline, and can be cut along the timeline, allowing for each cut segment to have it's own effects, fade in/out etc. however if you mute the layer at the start, you lose the whole track on that layer.

[Linked Image]

In the example the lights on image is the norm, because that take up most of the timeline. Cut a piece out and the layer below, (which is a picture of the lights out) is shown, so the lights on can be made to flicker on/off. or fades could be added to any segment individually, so that the lights gently turn on or off.

Nearly all video editing programs work this way, just as most music editing software use the same rules.

By the way not jpegs but png files Colin, as these like a gif file have no background, so don't overlay any of the layer below, except the part that is intended to be overlayed.

I hope this explains it.

God Bless Roy and Helen

Last edited by Roy Cooper; 04/21/17 02:33 PM.

'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
OP Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Vicarn
Some neat tips there Roy.

Vic


Thanks Vic for stopping by and having a look. I'm pleased it is useful

God Bless Roy and Helen


'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
OP Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Colin Ward
Very nice, Roy. One question..... Is there a way to switch layers on and off in the video editing program or do you save the various versions in Photoshop as JPEGS and then place them in the video as needed to show the lights coming on, etc.?

Thanks


Another example Colin that more accurately shows how I did the layers for Johns video.

[Linked Image]

The top layer is always the one seen at the front of the video and each lower layer is futher back in the scene.

So we have the 'lights layer' in front of the main windows of the house attic, then in front of that we have the 'Ghost layer' at 75% opacity to allow the light to come through. Then we have the 'Curtains layer' at 25% opacity.

The opacity of each layer can be altered with the track handles lowered or lifted just like the volume on an audio track in a audio editing package.

So the ghost could be made to fade in or out at will.

The lights out layer is simply areas that masks out the windows with black panels.

In actual fact the lights layer, ghost layer and curtains layer don't need to be cut away to use the lights out layer, as the black panels would cover them anyway. It's just the way I do it.

The lights out segments could be wider than the bits below, allowing the start and ends to have a fade in or out, thus turning the lights on and off slowly.

I hope that this explains it a bit more for you Colin and also for others who may be interested.

God Bless Roy and Helen




'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,911
Likes: 1
Top 30 Poster
Offline
Top 30 Poster
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,911
Likes: 1
Thanks Roy. I'll have to try my Adobe Premiere Elements and see if it does that.

Thanks.


Colin

I try to critique as if you mean business.....

http://colinwardmusic.com/

http://rosewoodcreekband.com/


Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
OP Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303
Likes: 1
Hi friends..

I just thought I would show this music video that I made many years ago, showing more in depth how I used layers to build up a scene. Maybe others will find the explanations useful.

The song is 'I Wanna Be the Woman' and the singer is our friend Mia.

The first 10 seconds and other places in the final video make use of this scene.



The furthest layer in the scene is the horse, which I filmed in a local field. Track 1.
Then track 2 above that in the timeline is the wooden railings.

I then put the photoshop png file of the back wall of the room on the next layer, after cutting the window space out.

The two side walls were then added separately from photoshop png files, each side on their own layer. I used the distort function on the image in photoshop to get the walls to open outwards at the front of the whole scene, thus giving a wide viewing angle.

This was followed by the layer with the floor, which I adapted in photoshop from a marble sheet. I also used the distort function in photoshop to shape the floor to touch each corner of the wall, and to follow the bottom edge of the side walls to the front.

The next layer was for the curtains. I got a picture of curtains against a white wall, from a curtain display in an internet shop
and cut them out. Then made them 30% transparent, so you could see the outside scene through them.

Next came the armchair and piano against the curtains at the back of the room and the furniture at each side of the room.

I also added a layer for the TV on the far wall but with a blank screen at that time.

I created a new layer above the TV layer which I left empty. This layer was for the final recording of the video to be added and resized to appear as if it was playing, on the TV.

I then did 2 video shoots of Mia, our friend who was the singer.

I filmed her dancing to the song against a green backdrop. This is known as greenscreen/bluescreen or chromakey filming. (making sure that she never had any green clothes on).

She actually danced in this footage for the whole length of the song, so that I could use this scene at varying places throughout.
I placed to video into a layer on the timeline, and used the chromakey function, to remove everything in the video that was green, thereby leaving just Mia dancing.

By re sizing and positioning the footage, I got it to appear that she was dancing on the floor in the room.

I then filmed her again in front of a greenscreen, sitting on a stool, and making out she was watching a TV in front on a wall.
I also had her passing hands through her hair etc.

This footage was placed on another layer above the first footage, and using the chromakey function, everything but her was removed.
Obviously, the stool that she was sitting on was not removed, because it wasn't green. However, I then added another layer above with the back curved chair on it. This hides the short stool and seems as if she is sitting in the tall chair.

On order to give a realistic feel I then added the front table and vase in front of the footage so that it seems as if mia is dancing behind the table. I did it so that her lower legs can be seen under the table as she dances.

That then was that scene for the video, apart from one final addin. This scene was used about 10 times throughout the video.

The final move was to render the whole video to make a new video with everything in it.

I then inserted that video into the empty layer that I had earlier created and resized it to fit into the TV screen on the wall.

Because I located that TV layer in front of Mia sitting, it seems that she is watching the TV of her own music video.

I know that some scenes in this video are not up to scratch, but it was back in 2008 and I was still learning lol.

I hope that the explanation is useful to others.

when you pause the video, a small popup appears..hit the cross to take it away.. This is youtube playing.

God Bless Roy and Helen

Last edited by Roy Cooper; 04/24/17 06:56 PM.

'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'


Link Copied to Clipboard
Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Newest Members
EdKreider, KyleCrawford, LukeMeyers, KimBilbrew, AdamSadowski
21,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics129,060
Posts1,185,723
Members21,480
Most Online236,505
Jul 1st, 2026
Just Plain Quotes
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
Steve Cooke (59)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,364,786 Prophecy anyone?
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5