Originally Posted by December Rock Star
I tend to agree, but there are plenty of articles online showing how to get a good vocal sound. I dont think it's that difficult if you follow directions...ie. stand 6 inches away, stand slightly to the side so you dont pop the mic, use reflection filters and pop filters, use some compression on the way in, and move close on softer parts, and further away on louder parts.

That's all doable, but once everybody is doing that, the guy with the better gear is going to get better results.

Ive heard alot about "really nice preamp" its supposed to be the best preamp under 500 bucks.


Do not confuse a good performance with good equipment. I have been singing for a living for many many years and notice that what is considered doable...in practice very few folk actually do. But good mic technique is a whole different thread. The best technique in the world will not produce a great recording if the mic is crap or is not set up right and the engineer cannot work the other equipment to its best.