Noise V music is always an interesting debate....I view it like this...... music is controlled noise and pleasing to the ear...it demonstrates varying skill levels from the persons producing the noise. For example a bunch of 3yr old kids singing nursery rhymes can be described as producing music.....it is not in the main well performed or tuneful but it is still music. We all view different music from two angles..... the performance and the quality of the composition. In the main we compare these qualities to different skill levels or benchmarks.....like what we can produce and what others can produce and how other music compares to each benchmark. We are all influenced by the music we hear in our comfort zone and what we have been brought up with and that can influence our likes and dislikes.
I can listen to a song and say well that does not compare well to what I can do or to what others can do or the benchmark expected for that style. I can also listen to a piece of music and say wow that is amazing something I could not do and not many others could do it either and it raises the benchmark. So by comparing music to these different levels we can establish in our minds where a piece of music lies in its quality. Where the difficulty comes is when people have different benchmarks and cannot appreciate just how little talent is needed or how much talent is needed to produce certain pieces of music.