Scott,

I don't know about paid "songwriter courses" because they are a relatively new phenomenon. But there are very few, perhaps close to none, that did it without mentors, teachers, editors and coaches.

Years ago, it was easier for a new songwriter to have access to "biz" folks. Then those new songwriters started suing those "biz" folks saying the bizzers stole their lines. "Look, he used 'the' and 'and' just like me!!! The thief!!!" The doors around here started closing faster than sponsors dropping Tiger Woods. But it left a void. There was a need for "developers." The unknown, beginning songwriters needed someone to show them the things they couldn't see in the mirror. That's why this relatively new industry has sprung up. I will bet that within the next decade or so, nearly all of the Nashville hit writers will have taken courses, had paid critiques, or gone bar-hopping with Marc.

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music