I can't advise you on your problem. You need an attorney. But, I can help you for the future: NEVER co-write with someone until you get an agreement in writing that enumerates just exactly your relationship will be. If anyone refuses to write with you because you insist on an agreement, wish them well and go find someone else.

If you can't bring yourself to sign an agreement, at least talk about it beforehand: "whatever we come up with will be a 50-50 co-write and neither has the right to do ANYTHING else to the song without the permission and participation of the other."

See how easy it is?

BTW, if I were you, I'd write a new lyric to the song (use the same title if you like, you are allowed) and move forward. I would not waste time with the old co-writer. It's just a song.

[This message has been edited by TrumanCoyote (edited 12-16-2005).]