Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
SOMA
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:11 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,033 Likes: 100
Top 200 Poster
|
OP
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,033 Likes: 100 |
I wanted to write something ultra-catchy and ultra-modern. This song is about guilt-tripping, a psychological and emotional manipulation tactic where one person makes another feel excessive guilt, obligation, or responsibility in order to influence their behavior. It can be subtle: a sigh, a silence, a wounded look, or playing the victim. But the effect can be powerful - you say yes when you mean no, apologize when you’ve done nothing wrong, and start feeling responsible for someone else’s emotions. “Toxic” is about recognizing that pattern, breaking free from it, and finally saying: Your feelings are your own. My life is mine. Toxichttps://soundclick.com/song/15352638[Instrumental Intro] [Verse] You never tell me what to do You just make me feel I have to A little sigh, a little stare A little “guess you just don’t care” [Verse] You never say out loud I’m wrong You just let the quiet drag too long You twist the knife, then act surprised Every time I apologize [Pre-Chorus] You don’t demand, you don’t command You put the guilt right in my hands You make your pain my problem too And somehow I’m the one hurting you [Chorus] Toxic, toxic, running through my head Making me feel guilty for the things I never said Toxic, toxic, pulling at my heart You don’t make the rules — you just make me play the part I say yes when I mean no I say sorry, just to let it go But I finally see the truth Your feelings aren’t my job to soothe Toxic, toxic I’m not carrying the weight of you [Break] [Verse] I say, “I can’t,” you hear, “I don’t” I say, “Not now,” you say, “You won’t” A simple boundary turns to blame And somehow I’m the one to shame [Pre-Chorus] You don’t demand, you don’t command You put the guilt right in my hands You make your pain my problem too And somehow I’m the one hurting you [Chorus] Toxic, toxic, running through my head Making me feel guilty for the things I never said Toxic, toxic, pulling at my heart You don’t make the rules — you just make me play the part I say yes when I mean no I say sorry, just to let it go But I finally see the truth Your feelings aren’t my job to soothe Toxic, toxic I’m not carrying the weight of you [Breakdown] [spoken] No more walking on eggshells No more fixing what you feel No more turning my “no” into Something I have to conceal No more guilt, no more games No more taking all the blame No more bending just to prove That I still care about you [Interlude] [Final Chorus] Toxic, toxic, now I see it clear All the weight you put on me, all the guilt, all the fear Toxic, toxic, this is where it ends I can love you, but I won’t lose myself again I don’t have to say yes I don’t have to second-guess I don’t have to carry you Or apologize for what I choose Toxic, toxic Call me selfish if you want Toxic, toxic I’m finally moving on [Outro] Toxic, toxic I’m finally choosing me Toxic, toxic Now I’m finally free
Last edited by Rob B.; 10/04/26 02:19 PM.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,090
Posts1,185,792
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|