Originally Posted by Sunset Poet
A different viewpoint and opinion...

Couching these little neurosis driven, political diatribes (TDS) into "song" form, may collect a few attaboys from a handful of the politically like minded.

But in a very divided nation, they polarize the other half of the electorate that hold a different viewpoint.

While they may serve to make Robby feel justified and righteous and virtuous as he pines for a his personal version of a better America, I suspect that they pursuade other site viewers, desiring to view songs, to simply avoid the site...as too politically caustic.

That is selfish.
In the context of a songwriting site, it is also dysfunctional.
And a bit pathetic, that with all of the available outlets for partisan hack content...he can only bring it to songwriting sites to get it recognized by someone.

Marty, I appreciate you taking the time to comment, even though we obviously see the song very differently.

Yes, it’s a political song. I wrote it that way deliberately. Songwriting has always been a way for people to comment on the world around them — sometimes seriously, sometimes humorously, sometimes from a very personal point of view. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and I certainly don't expect a songwriting site to consist only of songs that everyone agrees with.

What I find unfortunate is that you’ve turned a disagreement about a song into assumptions about my motives and character. Calling it “neurosis driven,” “selfish,” “dysfunctional,” and “pathetic” doesn't really critique the songwriting or the ideas in the lyric.

Gary understood what I was trying to do with the bridge and the ending: ultimately, the question isn't simply red or blue. It's how the decisions being made affect ordinary people — and the next generation. Good morning, America, how are you today? Are you better off than yesterday?

You don't have to agree with my viewpoint. That's perfectly fine. But I think we can disagree about a song without making it personal.

And as far as whether the song is appropriate for the site, I think that's really a question for the moderators. Gary, as a moderator, chose to engage with the song and its message. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion about whether political songs belong here, but that doesn't make your opinion the site's rule.