|
8 members (texritter, Michael W. Brown, bennash, Raymond Byabazaire, Kay-lynn Carew, KyleCrawford, Everett Adams, 1 invisible),
93,408
guests, and
5,636
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,654
Top 100 Poster
|
OP
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,654 |
"That`s Progress"
It used to be "Marbles", And "Kick the Can", Now it`s cellphones, Pagers and pokeyman,
If you owned a b-b gun, And pocketknife you were cool, Nowdays you get in trouble, For nailclippers in school...
Yeah, that`s progress, A really fine mess, Yeah, that`s progress.
In the good old days, You could hunt and catch fish, Today certain people, Fight to take your every wish,
I don`t know why or how, That innocence got lost, But us common people, Are paying the cost...
Yeah, that`s progress, Uhh...more or less, Yeah, that`s progress.
Used to travel when we had to, But stay home alot more, Now were rammin and jammin, And don`t know what for,
We seemed to have lost, Our focus too fast, Speeding like hell, To outrun years past...
Yeah, that`s progress, A mountain of stress, Yeah, that`s progress.
Yeah, that`s progress, Untimely, I guess, But that`s progress...
Yeah, that`s progress!
© DANOLYRICS---2001
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,806
Top 10 Poster
|
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,806 |
If this is progress..I don't need it. Unfortunately, this song is all too true. We seem to have lost so much innocence, it makes me feel bad for kids today who have had to grow up so fast. You nailed it on this one, Dano. Good job.
Bobbie
They'll tell you success in the music biz is all about who you know...but the truth is...it's about who knows you. Gallup 'n Dawg Music
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,072
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,072 |
Well I can see you've made some progress on this song Dan ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/wink.gif) This sorta sums up these days dosen't it? Cool song! David
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 83
Serious Contributor
|
Serious Contributor
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 83 |
I never looked up the definition of progress, but I think it would say something about moving forward. This don't look like forward to me. You hit the nail on the head on this one. Too bad it is the way that life has become. Where does it go next? That can be a very scary thought. Darwin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,918
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,918 |
Hi Dan.... Well, you certainly know what's going on in the world! So unfortunate. I've lived here 16 years, and only know my neighbors well enough to say "hi" when we happen to be raking leaves or blowing snow at the same time. My son is in his 20's, and making 6-figures. When I was in my 20's, I didn't even know what 6-figures were---except from Plane Geometry. Sigh..... On the other hand, I would have had a fit if he had played with pea shooters the way we did (someone could get hurt!--LOL) And I sure enjoyed the heck out of his paintball gun Neat idea here....any plans for it?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,654
Top 100 Poster
|
OP
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,654 |
Bobbie, David, Darwin, and Sunny, Thanks a bunch my friends! I got this idea from reading a story from a writer in a gun magazine. He said when he was a kid, they would take their .22 rifles to school, lean em up out back, then hunt on the way home. No murders, no trouble...just kids doing what they love, because they were raised by responsible parents, and they recognized and valued right from wrong. Too bad that concept went out the window!(for the most part) I really don`t have any special plans for this one...if someone has a music venture for it, I`m game. Thanks again! Dan. ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,430
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,430 |
Dan..... are you channeling TampaStan here or something??? Cuz if you put some of your words in all caps or quotation marks, I'd swear Stan wrote this. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/wink.gif) ) Not much to it here. The chorus seemed a but short to me 'til I realized it functioned more like a refrain. The "wish" line seemed forced, and I don't know what "rammin and jammin" means. Also, you mispronounced "Pokemon", but that's probably a good thing to do in a lyric like this. Good job overall! Very catchy, and mostly true! ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) Anthony P.S.: Where the heck *is* TampaStan, anyway? Anybody know??? [This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 10-02-2001).]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,654
Top 100 Poster
|
OP
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,654 |
Anthony, Thanks guy! Yeah, it`s more like a chorfrain. Wish line isn`t forced...cuz it`s true. Rammin and jammin=runnin around all the time at a fast pace. Lastly, pokeyman was an intentional misspelling...don`t want no lawyers comin round. Thanks again, and I believe Stan is out in L.A.-L.A. land schmoozing a bit. DAn. ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,372
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,372 |
hey buddy
Well...yeah,...this song is accurate.. But hey... This same complaint is carved into seats in 3500 year old roman amphitheatres... I'm ok...you're ok...we're all all right ! (to quote the theme from that 70s show)
This is grim, and sadly true..and very well said
good one
Bob
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,528
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,528 |
Nice little lyric about a crappty truism here in the U.S. Enjoyed the read; did the rammin' and jammin' explained though; if Tampa had written this, i'd know what those two words were referring to right off! Maybe slap just ONE more line on the chorus? ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,330
Top 10 Poster
|
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,330 |
I'd like to see more verses contrasting the generations before it turns into adult reflection. There are many. (I teach Jr. High school kids.) "They like spikey, dyed hair and thong underwear." The kids don't know how to say , Yes, Ma'am, Yes, Sir. They sit if front of their computers and play with each other's toys but not with each other (remember shadow tag?) They are physically unfit. And many more. The peer pressure is unreal. Kids are afraid to say what they like. They are forbidden to wear certain colors or hats and scarves to school because of gang affiliation. Their parents give them things instead of guidance and attention.
Anyway, I like where the song is going. JeanB
[This message has been edited by JeanB (edited 10-03-2001).]
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 927
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 927 |
Mornin Dan, Fine read bad sitiation. Layout flows like a rock tune. wonderin what you had in mind (if anything)-iddy
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,178
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,178 |
DITTO Iddy biddy!!! This is definitely laid out like a rock song and a damn good one, too!!! Great lyric, Dano. Loved the progression of the choruses also. It's a sad world we live in with all the stuff you mention, but you just made it a bit better with your lyric! Keep ROCKIN!!! ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/wink.gif) Tink
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,654
Top 100 Poster
|
OP
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,654 |
Bob, Blake, Jean, Iddy, Tink, Bob, Thanks kind fella. I was tryin to kinda emulate your writing...short compact song with lots of grit. Glad you like it. ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) Blake, Thanks! Dang, that rammin and jammin must be a northeast saying or something! LOL. I didn`t really want the chorus too fat. Actually it`s a chorfrain...didn`t ya hear, there popular now days! ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) Jean, With a song titled as such...I had to make some quick...well, you know...LOL Just trying to keep it succinct, didn`t want to drudge through the mud too far, and risk losing some. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas though. ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) Iddy, Thanks Biddy dude. If you`re riffin, I`m lis`nin. I didn`t originally have any special plans for it...but if ya got your axe in hand, go to town! ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) TinkNRoll, Rock on, my fair haired metal maiden! Yeah!!! Gnarlyyyyy! Thanks darlin. Glad my glum observations had ya rockin steady. ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) Thanks again to all ya! Dan. ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif)
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,064
Posts1,185,734
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|