Who's Online Now
6 members (Everett Adams, bennash, Gary E. Andrews, texritter, Michael W. Brown, 1 invisible), 42,029 guests, and 5,715 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
What's Going On
Infinite Hills Productions, Bellevue KY
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 11:34 PM
Schaffer Brothers Band, Grand Junction CO
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 10:43 PM
Landing, Portsmouth OH
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 10:30 PM
Do Nothing
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 10:21 PM
Johnny Marr, London
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 09:30 PM
Andrea von Kampen, Boulder
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 08:47 PM
John Fellner, London, Ontario
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/05/26 03:34 PM
Just Another Copyright Lawsuit...
by bennash - 10/05/26 12:01 PM
Billy's Top 5(awesome)
by Fdemetrio - 10/05/26 12:04 AM
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
THEY GOOFED AGAIN
by bennash - 10/04/26 08:07 AM
Parmount Theater Ashland
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/04/26 12:37 AM
Post Sex Nachos
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 11:52 PM
Yungchen Lhamo, Tibetan, Manhattan
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 09:59 PM
Sugarbeats! Kel's Tavern, Ashland KY
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 03:35 PM
Barnably Bright, The Cutting Room
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/03/26 12:28 AM
Kasador, Kingston, Ontario
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/02/26 11:32 PM
Alone: A New Musical
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/02/26 10:31 PM
Caryn Dixon
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/01/26 11:48 PM
The Image In My Head
by texritter - 10/01/26 09:30 PM
Odyssey of the End Times
by KyleCrawford - 10/01/26 06:49 PM
Done with this Day
by bennash - 10/01/26 01:37 PM
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
Mark Berry of AMG
by Everett Adams - 10/01/26 06:14 AM
Ellis Frawley
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 11:05 PM
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
It's All An Illusion
by Rob B. - 09/30/26 04:08 PM
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
rosecoloredworld
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:01 PM
Top Posters
Calvin 19,858
Travis david 12,380
Kevin Emmrich 10,943
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,649
Joice Marie 9,186
Fdemetrio 9,136
Mackie H. 9,003
glynda 8,688
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
couchgrouch 8,240
Colin Ward 7,911
Corey 7,357
Sunset Poet 7,153
Vicarn 6,916
Mark Kaufman 6,589
ben willis 6,114
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,700
bennash 4,572
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,389
Roy Cooper 4,303
MFB III 4,237
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,195
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,172
nightengale 4,096
E Swartz 4,029
beechnut79 3,878
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,845
Dan Sullivan 3,710
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,901
Nigel Quin 2,891
Harriet Ames 2,870
MidniteBob 2,764
Nelson 2,616
Tom Tracy 2,558
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,247
Wendy D 2,236
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
maccharles 2,134
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,041
Rob B. 2,030
DukeWill 2,009
floyd jane 1,985
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,653
VNORTH2 1,652
Noel Downs 1,633
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
GocartMoz 1,559
Bill Draper 1,556
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,481
Tom Franz 1,479
David Gill 1,462
IronKnee 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Rick Norton 1,435
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Deej56 1,419
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,409
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,294
lane1777 1,280
Gerry 1,280
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,235
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
summeoyo 1,174
ckiphen 1,162
Diane Ewing 1,162
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
9ne 1,035
WesRyan 1,018
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
90 dB 964
Wolvman 960
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
ant 798
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Irwin 755
Andy Kemp 751
Andy K 750
tbryson 737
Jackie444 731
Pat Hardy 704
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Moosesong 679
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
R&M 614
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 590
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
BB Wilbur 529
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
Rob L 439
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
ddreuter 394
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Alek 386
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Ann_F 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
papaG 353
Z - man 350
JamesDF5 348
John K 348
Jaden 344
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 294
markus-ky 294
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
Char 286
ktunes 285
Top Likes Received
bennash 146
Fdemetrio 101
Rob B. 100
VNORTH2 68
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
I came up with a melody and this title a few days ago as I was waking up.
I started this one by just writing a chorus.
Be honest; is this title or chorus strong enough to compete in the current commercial markets?
Any nits?

TELL ME I DID SOMETHING WRONG
(C) Cal Skomski 2006

chorus
Tell me I did something wrong
Tell me I’m mistaken
Is there a new love waiting
I feel a bit [contrite] so slighted uninvited
Every day without you makes me feel so sad
Tell me I did something wrong
Then I won’t feel so bad

I need a push sometimes to get going.

Cal


"Contrite" wil be removed on the re-write;
and the line re-written.

------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski












[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 02-11-2006).]

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Long time no talk to, Cal
(You still mad cause I didn't send you my songs?)

Tell me I did something wrong
Tell me I’m mistaken
Is there a new love waiting
I feel contrite, slighted, uninvited (which word do you want--or all of them?)
Every day without you is sadly
Tell me I did something wrong
Then I won’t feel so badly


->tease?

something I have yet to do is write a Chorus first-- I know, I know------------

I start with the STORY!

annie

Just to bump you

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
B
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
B
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
This song is a lyrical dead end. The word contrite is not conversational.

The song is masochistic.

Cal, I gave you a MILLION DOLLAR IDEA.

"Everybody Dance the Million Dollar Polka"

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Hi annie-
I wasn't mad- although a bit dis-appointed.
Hoped to help you out if I could.
I eventually met with Ronnie Cantrell, the president of Destiny Row Records- Nashville.
He is thinking about using one of my songs on his most recent artists next CD.
She is 14 years old- her name is Kelsey.

www.totallykelsey.com
or
www.destinyrow.com

Anyways, you made a made a good point about line 4-
I was thinking about removing contrite.
Yes; I do things backwards sometimes- now to work on a new fresh approach for the verses/story.

Tnx

Cal

http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski








[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 02-09-2006).]

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Quote
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BigAppleLyricist:
This song is a lyrical dead end. The word contrite is not conversational.

The song is masochistic.

Cal, I gave you a MILLION DOLLAR IDEA.

"Everybody Dance the Million Dollar Polka"

</font>



BAl-
Any comments are welcome; but you don't have a clue of what the concepts are in this chorus do you?
So, I'll "clue" you in.
First off, this is not a song- just the "chorus."
A song will be built around this chorus.
There are many fresh and unique possibilities for the approach I may take.
When the song is finished, the lyric will suit both male, and female vocalists.
Think about it; the character in the chorus hopes he/she has done something wrong- rather than find out he/she has lost his/her lover to another.
Sweet and simple- but clever.
Masochistic? Shows where your head is at-
In the toilet? You're dreaming.
If you like that Polish idea so much, then you write the song- it's not up my alley.

Cal


------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski

[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 02-09-2006).]

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
B
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
B
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
Cal, you have to remember that when a person is singing a song - they are singing to an audience.

Tell me I did something wrong

Just invites heckling. The hook! The hook!

This is not a song that makes us like the singer ...

Is there a new love waiting?

No woman is going to say that!

[This message has been edited by BigAppleLyricist (edited 02-09-2006).]

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Bal-
I posted this topic on two other forums, and so far, I have had all positive comments regarding the title/hook, and most of the lyric in the chorus.
It's a go!

You are entitled to your opinions.
You made a very negative comment about my song:
"I Don't Know Why You Still Love Me"
a while back; saying the lyric was cruel and you hated it.. that's O.K. but;
that same song just happens to be the one I mentioned to annie in one of my previous posts on this thread.
Both Ronnie the CEO, and Jane the A&R person for the label, both mentioned several times, while I was at the label, that they really "LOVED" that song.
All of the people in my neck of the woods also really like it too.

Cal
------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski











[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 02-10-2006).]

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Back again Cal,

First, I don't like her (Kelsey's) voice.

Second--you said it would cost me nothing -unless--?--?????
and that 'killed' it right there!

annie

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Unless what?


http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski


[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 02-09-2006).]

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 399
C
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
C
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 399
Hi, Cal -

The placement of the title/hook stopped me dead in my tracks the first four or five times I read it because there were several possibilities for interpretation. If you choose to leave it where it is, make certain you lead into it with a verse strong enough to eliminate the ambiguity.

I'd love to see the finished draft when you get it done. cue

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Thanks cue!

Tell me I did something wrong- one concept
+
Tell me I'm mistaken
Is there a new love waiting? 2nd concept
[we don't know if there is someone else]

(Tell me I did something wrong)
Then I won't feel so bad. 3rd concept

In a nutshell;
Please, tell me there's no one else;
Maybe we can save this relationship.
"If I'm the problem, I'LL CHANGE!"
It's all pretty simple if you don't over analyze it.

Cal

http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski




[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 02-09-2006).]

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
B
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
B
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
Every single line is negative and self-deprecating.
Not one line is why they love you.
There are no word pictures.
How can they be contrite when they don't know what they did wrong?



[This message has been edited by BigAppleLyricist (edited 02-09-2006).]

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Bal-
Please read my replies more carefully.
I mentioned in my reply to annie, I was going to remove contrite.

Cal

http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski


[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 02-09-2006).]

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,653
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,653
Hi Cal,

Nice to meet ya.

I think I can see where you’re going with this. A few years ago I had some success with my song “When I’m Wrong”.

Of course you know it’s hard to judge just a chorus but here goes:
Title/Hook: “TELL ME I DID SOMETHING WRONG” doesn’t spark my interest. Maybe “I Want to be Wrong” or “Was it Me”. I don’t know, it just didn’t make me go hmmn.

Structure: You rhymed line 2 and 3 and 5 and 7. I’d have to hear the music but reading it, the rhymes and rhythm felt awkward.

I’m with the rest on the word “contrite”, but I can see what you were trying to do in that line.

Checked out “Organ Iced”. Not too shabby. Good luck.

Iggy
www.badbetsy.com

“When I’m Wrong” http://www.badbetsy.com/music-14.html

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Thanks Iggy-
Glad to meet you too.
I see you caught that forced rhyme in lines 2&3; the "aye" sound in mistaken, and waiting.
I don't like perfect rhymes all of the time;
tends to get boring.
Eliminating "contrite:"
slighted and uninvited are linked together with an internal rhyme in line 4-
with the "eye" sound.
The me's and feel's are linked with the "ee" sound through out the song-
they are also, an internal rhyme in line 5.
The only perfect rhyme is sad, and bad.
I didn't do this intentionally, but naturally.
Believe me, it works with the music.
I do have an off-beat style don't I?
If one wishes to make it in this business,
being different sometimes, may be the ticket to the publishing deal the last writer missed, by being to conventional.

Tnx for the listen, and comments regarding my first post on soundclick.

Cal

http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski




[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 02-10-2006).]

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
only Reba M ?
can get away with rhyming
fighter
with
survivor!

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
hey- you're still out there.
You see my point then.

Cal

------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
*I* see it but many people on this board want such exact rhymes that is it mind-boggling!

--but then we are just the wannabees and suppose we have to do better!
annie

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,653
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,653
Well since I was the only person who commented on the rhyming pattern, I’m going to assume (yes I know what that words means) that Annie’s exact rhyme comment was directed toward me. Additionally many moons ago I posted a song called “Wannabees” so again, my knee jerk response is it’s toward me. I hope I’m wrong.

Man feelings sure do run amuck on this forum. Including mine!

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Iggy, Iggy

Not at all

There are many on here who do not want internal rhymes, or false rhymes, or rhymes as Cal mentioned with the "hard "i" mid word-

"slighted and uninvited are linked together with an internal rhyme in line 4-
with the "eye" sound"

- I say that many of them work--especially when the lyrics are *sung*!!

My post was in defence of Cal's own post!

annie

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Gee Cal

one chorus is netting you many responses and we don't even know the story!!

annie

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,653
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,653
Hey Annie,

OK, sorry my apologies. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the true meaning of someone’s post without the benefit of looking them in the eye.

I appreciate your quick clarification. I'm all better now. [Linked Image]

I’m only here to please not to tease.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,117
NP Iggy
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
annie

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
B
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
B
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
I am a true rhyme freak, but I tolerate vowel rhymes in others IF they work, and that's a big IF.

The song has to be satisfying. Something that songwriters want to sing.

I think Cal writes too many "LOSER" songs and most of them are killjoy songs.

I've had conversations and correspondence with Cal and he's a rather UPBEAT and positive and helpful and generous kinda of guy, and if he would only put THAT guy's personality into his songs - he'd be writing HITS!

If I were his manager, I'd say I want to see you write an act for yourself that expresses you. The kind of act that would make you irresistable to women!
No loser songs.
Songs about you, your life, your friends and TRAVEL, and family.
At the end of every song, the audience would know a little bit more about you.
By the end of the set - they would love you!

[This message has been edited by BigAppleLyricist (edited 02-10-2006).]

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline OP
Top 200 Poster
OP Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
I gave my opinions, and felt this post was a bit of a rant; so I deleted it.
I still stand by what I said.

Cal




[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 03-21-2006).]

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
B
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
B
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 43
At least I know that this isn't selling - even in Milwaukee:

"I feel a bit contrite so slighted uninvited"

You should've taken that job in Hollywood.

PS You don't know ANYTHING about my career.

[This message has been edited by BigAppleLyricist (edited 02-12-2006).]


Link Copied to Clipboard
Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Newest Members
EdKreider, KyleCrawford, LukeMeyers, KimBilbrew, AdamSadowski
21,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics129,081
Posts1,185,775
Members21,480
Most Online236,505
Jul 1st, 2026
Just Plain Quotes
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,378,466 Prophecy anyone?
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5