[Verse]
Two broke songwriters, third-floor walk-up room<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I would just say writers by line 3 they know it's about songs
Coffee gone cold, still chasing a tune<<<<<<<<<<<more likely the beer went warm. (fact)
You had a melody, I had a name to try
Both of us hoping we could touch the sky<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<this line could be stronger.

[Verse]
You played it on that old beat-up Martin of yours
Said, “It ain’t much, but it’s honest, that’s for sure”
I called a friend who could help us get in
Never guessed that favor’d turn into a win

[Pre-chorus]
I thought I was helping you chase your shot<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I thnk the listener can discern what's going on
Didn’t see the miracle we’d caught

[Chorus]
When you row another person across the river
Yeah, that’s how life works, yeah, that’s how life works
Two hands on the oars, same song, same shiver
Yeah, that’s how life works, yeah, that’s how life works

[Break]

[Verse]
A few months later, heard it on the radio
Your name and mine right there in the show
We laughed in the car, shook our heads with a grin
Funny how helping someone’s the way you both win

[Pre-chorus]
I thought I was helping you chase your shot
Didn’t see the miracle we’d caught

[Chorus]
When you row another person across the river <<<<<<<<<<<< would it be better When you row another person cross the river? )
Yeah, that’s how life works, yeah, that’s how life works
Two hands on the oars, same song, same shiver<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<love this line
Yeah, that’s how life works, yeah, that’s how life works

[Bridge]
You don’t do it for the money or the fame
You do it ’cause you’d do the very same
Turns out helping ain’t a losing game
It’s just two hearts pulling the same way<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<two hearts? I was imaging two guys writing so that's just me being wierd

[Interlude - chanting]
Whoa-oh-oh, oh, that’s how life works
That’s how life works

[Final chorus]
When you row another person across the river
Yeah, that’s how life works, yeah, that’s how life works
Two hands on the oars, same song, same shiver
Yeah, that’s how life works, yeah, that’s how life works

[Outro – fading chants]
Whoa-oh-oh, oh, that’s how life works
Whoa-oh-oh, oh, that’s how life works


"It Mattered to THAT One"