|
5 members (texritter, Michael W. Brown, CTthomas, Bill Draper, 1 invisible),
24,853
guests, and
5,917
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8,574
JPF Mentor
|
OP
JPF Mentor
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 8,574 |
John, Thanks much. It was a labor of love.
Geoff, Yes, Michael reminds me of Seals and Crofts, Christopher Cross and Steely Dan. This cd will be a remake of the best 10 or 12 songs from his earlier cds. Michael did most of his previous work playing everything or nearly everything. He makes up chords that are lush and full, often using tone clusters...combination of notes that defy the word "chord." I kept as much of his character as I was able.
Vic, Thanks, we've been doing this one song at a time for quite a while so I have no idea when we'll finish, but I will certainly announce when we do.
Colin, yes Michael wrote and sang this for his father.
Michael's songs all reflect his life, his ministry for the homeless, love of the ocean, and his relationship with God.
We work long distance. He and I decide which song from his previous albums we'll do. I do an arrangement with acoustic guitars, he sends back a scratch vocal. Then it goes to a friend's studio for basic tracking of drums, keyboards, bass and electric guitar. That comes home where I'll add other guitars, maybe re-do the bass and bring folks out for overdubs. On this song jpf member John Heinrich did three tracks of flute and two tracks of oboe. The oboe just didn't make it tonally. From the three tracks of flute, I pick and choose. The flute instrumental, for example, starts with a phrase that was played at a completely different part of the song and was moved a beat over in the measure. I'll also do things like that with the guitars.
Once finished, the tracks go back to Michael and he'll send me a vocal track. Sometimes I make suggestions and he'll send a new vocal track. In this case the first track did the deal. Then his track get's mixed in, processed, eq'd and given reverb and/or echo. Michael arranges his own harmony parts with rare input from me. Sometimes we add other vocalists for harmony or choir parts.
We work in mp3s over the net for all the work tracks. He sends me vocals on cd throught the mail. With other folks I'll send tracks through YouSendIt, DropBox, etc.
Thanks All, Mike
You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash It's only music. -niteshift Mike Dunbar Music
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,082
Posts1,185,776
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|