Originally Posted by Dan Tindall

How hard should I listen to music which is designed to make money and shift units - it's throwaway, right? How much analysis does it warrant?

Dan smile

Dan, for a guy like you, the answer is none. You're involved in a different style. I'd recommend listening to as little popular music as possible.

When I was a folk musician, trying to take it seriously, I didn't listen to any recorded music at all. I had given away my television, didn't own a record player, recorder or radio. All the music I heard was live, except for what came on a jukebox or on someone's car radio. I refused to use either a pickup on my guitar or reverb on the sound system. If the room was small enough, I didn't use a sound system. This, by the way, is all true.

If I were still in folk music(and selling out by recording it), I would avoid digital reverb. I'd probably record everything binaural or with the ORTF systems and use room ambience.

So, in my opinion you should avoid anything that is remotely pop.

All the Best,
Mike

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music