Exactly, Marc.

Now, while spending ten grand for a couple of songs is WAY over the top, I know of one member here who did just that even after being warned and even begged not to. That's the extreme example.

For most other situations, it's as Marc says. There are a lot of promoters, producers, pitchers, publishers etc. in Nashville, as well as all of the other music centers, who want to be part of the game. Sometimes they are folks who once were successful, sometimes they are folks who just wish they were. Most would like nothing more than to make someone a star. They just can't. Maybe they don't have the juice themselves, maybe it's because their clients can't carry the mail, most likely it's both.

I liken it to selling sports equipment. If I'm buying golf clubs and a guy steers me away from the cheap set and shows me a set that Tiger Woods (or his wife smile ) uses, then I buy that set and still whiff the club over the ball more than I hit it, whose fault is that? The guy sold me perfectly good clubs, but the cheap ones would have missed the ball just as well as the expensive ones. It's caveat emptor...let the buyer beware. What the guy did was perfectly legal, just not good advice. So, I've learned to get my advice about what golf clubs I need from a golf instructor, not a saleman. Similarly, I'd rather ask my wife if a shirt looks good on me than to ask the salesman at Sears.

Now, Eddie's case in point may be good. He's offering evidence that seems to back it up. Hopefully he won't have to prove it in court. But we have also seen the other side of the coin. Legitimate businesses called into question by folks who thought that their songwriting/musicianship/star potential was much better than it proved to be. Those businesses' names were wrongly tarnished. That's why I recommend "scam-proofing" youself. Do your homework. Ask questions. Assemble a team. Don't believe your own press releases. Learn to be honest. Learn to be honest both with others and, more importantly, with yourself.

Don't bet the rent money on your home team just because you want them to win. Study the game before you start playing with the big dogs.

All the Best,
Mike

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music