Who's Online Now
4 members (Gary E. Andrews, texritter, KyleCrawford, 1 invisible), 38,555 guests, and 5,791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
What's Going On
Caryn Dixon
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/01/26 11:48 PM
The Image In My Head
by texritter - 10/01/26 09:30 PM
Odyssey of the End Times
by KyleCrawford - 10/01/26 06:49 PM
THEY GOOFED AGAIN
by texritter - 10/01/26 04:25 PM
Done with this Day
by bennash - 10/01/26 01:37 PM
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
Mark Berry of AMG
by Everett Adams - 10/01/26 06:14 AM
Ellis Frawley
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 11:05 PM
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
It's All An Illusion
by Rob B. - 09/30/26 04:08 PM
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
rosecoloredworld
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:01 PM
Patrizia Jazz Vocalist
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:24 AM
Red Bicycle Hall, Madison IN
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:13 AM
My Heart Stop Beating And Said Damn You
by bennash - 09/29/26 10:16 PM
Good Morning America
by bennash - 09/29/26 07:53 PM
Money Money
by Rob B. - 09/28/26 06:23 PM
Bayside, Charleston SC
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 08:32 AM
Valerie June
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 01:34 AM
Ground Shaker, Switzerland
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 12:21 AM
Greyshadow
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 09:54 PM
Via Castello
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:40 PM
Gilla Band
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:32 PM
Abigail Rose
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:15 PM
Jamison Wake
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 09:48 AM
Soliloquy Records
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 01:42 AM
John Andrews & the Yawns
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 01:19 AM
Mission Bayfest Presented by SMKFLWR
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 12:13 AM
Cassandra Coleman
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/25/26 09:23 PM
Top Posters
Calvin 19,858
Travis david 12,380
Kevin Emmrich 10,943
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,649
Joice Marie 9,186
Fdemetrio 9,129
Mackie H. 9,003
glynda 8,688
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
couchgrouch 8,240
Colin Ward 7,911
Corey 7,357
Sunset Poet 7,151
Vicarn 6,916
Mark Kaufman 6,589
ben willis 6,114
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,700
bennash 4,565
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,389
Roy Cooper 4,303
MFB III 4,237
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,195
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,172
nightengale 4,096
E Swartz 4,029
beechnut79 3,878
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,845
Dan Sullivan 3,710
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,901
Nigel Quin 2,891
Harriet Ames 2,870
MidniteBob 2,764
Nelson 2,616
Tom Tracy 2,558
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,247
Wendy D 2,236
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
maccharles 2,134
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,041
Rob B. 2,025
DukeWill 2,009
floyd jane 1,985
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,653
VNORTH2 1,652
Noel Downs 1,633
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
GocartMoz 1,559
Bill Draper 1,556
Jack Swain 1,554
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,481
Tom Franz 1,479
David Gill 1,462
IronKnee 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Rick Norton 1,435
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Deej56 1,419
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,409
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,294
lane1777 1,280
Gerry 1,280
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,235
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
summeoyo 1,174
ckiphen 1,162
Diane Ewing 1,162
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
9ne 1,035
WesRyan 1,018
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
90 dB 964
Wolvman 960
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
ant 798
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Irwin 755
Andy Kemp 751
Andy K 750
tbryson 737
Jackie444 731
Pat Hardy 704
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Moosesong 679
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
R&M 614
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 590
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
BB Wilbur 529
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
Rob L 439
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
ddreuter 394
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Alek 386
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Ann_F 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
papaG 353
Z - man 350
JamesDF5 348
John K 348
Jaden 344
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 294
markus-ky 294
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
Char 286
ktunes 285
Top Likes Received
bennash 146
Fdemetrio 101
Rob B. 100
VNORTH2 68
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#521051 07/10/07 06:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Hi Folks,

So I got an email today from my favorite artist. He's a really twisted and disturbing painter who I think is a genius but who could easily turn someone's stomach if they're easily freaked out by what someone can create with oil on canvas.

The reason for mentioning him today is that he's posted 3 animations he's done over the last 4 years and I think they are equally brilliant (and disturbing) but they also make really deep social observations using the most unlikely methods. Especially in his second piece (the middle on the page). You have to kind of let yourself get into a trance of just letting it wash over you as it plays. It only occassionally makes verbal sense, but when it does now and then, see how well it works in context of the grotesque visual aspects.

The artist is Chris Mars. Visit his site and click "animation." It's a new site and I think it requires flash to view and may not load right away. Don't bother if you have a slow connection. And don't go if you are easily disturbed by horrific (though completely surreal) visuals because you won't like it. Chris was the drummer for the band "The Replacements."

www.chrismarspublishing.com

Enjoy.. (or be horrified...) and share your thoughts on the animations. I am curious what other creative folks think. If you're totally unfamiliar with him, be sure to browse the painting galleries. It will give you the needed background to understand the world you are seeing in the animations.

Brian



Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,462
Likes: 48
Top 200 Poster
Offline
Top 200 Poster
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,462
Likes: 48
He is definately artistic. Not quite my style but still in all he does some wonderful (if not interesting) work.


"Where there's a Gill, there's a way"
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
There's no doubt that some folks will find his stuff to weird to enjoy. His painting have that twisted apocolyptic mutated horror film sort of approach, but they often make interesting subtle points. I've been watching his stuff for many years but in the last couple the value of his work has gotten so high that real people can't possibly afford it any longer. Since I can't afford it (I missed buying a piece in Montreal a few years ago that has quintupled in value since then), I was really happy to see a new medium from him.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,657
E
Top 100 Poster
Offline
Top 100 Poster
E
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,657
I couldn't get the animaiton to play, but I saw a lot of his paintings and drawings...and...I read his statements explaining his work - which was unbelievably moving; his motivation for artistic expression has to do with his love for his brother- who suffers from mental illness.

If I didn't know anything about the context of this very intensely emotional and dark form of expression, I wouldn't have
appreciated it or understood it at all. It's not the type of stuff I am drawn to at all...but....I found myself wanting to see more and more after I read the statement.

If you go to his site, please read the statement. It brought tears to my eyes. This guy is trying to bring "light" and understanding too some very painful issues.

Thanks for sharing rhis, Brian. It reminds me that art can heal and teach.

Emily

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Emily,

You really need to get the animations to work. They may just need some time to load. Hit your space bar to activate them. (The site is a little weird program wise.. but I got it to work). The animations, especially the middle one, are eye opening... it captures the combination of mental illness and brilliance that often swirl about in creativity... very powerful on many levels.

I am so glad you "got" it.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,867
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,867
Brian,
I only had a chance to view a small bit of Chris' work, but what I did see was extremely powerful. I saw beauty inside of ugliness. I saw evil hidden in the same way. The artist has chosen a very interesting way to embody his messages. Thanks for bringing attention to him.

Heidi


"And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." Paul McCartney
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,082
Likes: 1
Top 10 Poster
Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,082
Likes: 1
I haven't seen the animations yet but I did look at his paintings and read his statement.

Fascinating work - powerful and unique. A couple of them seemed like a visualization of something that H.P. Lovecraft would write.

Thanks for calling this to our attention - it's so exciting to see something new (to me) and powerful. I know next to nothing about the art world but I'm not at all surprised that the value of his work is rapidly increasing.

Scott

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
I think some of you may be missing the 3 Animation pictures that come up on the left side under the word animations when you click it. Click one of the pictures and the animation will start loading. It really is worth checking out. I get lost in those paintings for their creativity and depth and eerie connection to the real world.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 583
T
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
T
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 583
The guy is clearly talented and I liked the animation but viewing all the artwork on the site was definately like a trip to hell. He took me there visually. He just brought it all to life on canvas. You know I got to looking at the video's and artwork closer and I will just add my two cents worth in here. I am sorry that the guy has a mentally ill brother and that it is a nice gesture to make artwork as a thoughtful act to him. But clearly people this is VERY disturbing. Seriously, if I wasn't already mentally ill before I could become this way looking at these disturbing pictures. Read what you want to into it. The bible tell us to take every thought captive. AS well as what we look at. Does that make you feel good? There is a video of a monster begging on the street down on his luck. I see what the message is suppose to be, but with the sound of a demon whining away??? Pleeeaaaaseeeeeeee! I think this is not glorifying God or anyone. Get ready to pray the demons out after this viewing.

Tammy

www.tammyedwards.com

Last edited by TAMERA64; 07/11/07 09:08 PM.
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,867
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,867
Hey guys,
It is such an interesting thing to try to put yourself in the space of another artist in an effort to relate to their work....especially an artist such as Chris Mars. He evidentally must find great aesthetic pleasure in creating the grotesque images as vehicles for his spiritual messages. Why would an artist prefer to paint ugliness in an effort to display beauty rather than simply paint what is normally accepted as beautiful? IMHO, he is using outward images that usually don't get much admiration or communication from the world, and making the viewer force himself to confront that outward image in order to look for the deeper and more truthful meaning underneath. Now, that's a very brave approach as it may not garner broad or immediate acceptance. However, by the looks of his growing popularity, it must be working or his prices wouldn't be going up so high. What a noble and unique undertaking. Maybe, the world might be a bit less superficial and more understanding if his messages are both seen and understood. It takes a creative being to change the status quo. In many ways, along with the "Heaven" here on earth, we do also have a "Hell" founded in ignorance and the resultant fear or unwillingness to understand. That's a heavy area for most people to confront and Chris has found his way to help us confont it. Bravo.


"And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." Paul McCartney
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
I think any time someone can evoke such a response from oil and canvas is something to be appreciated. People watch images of actual humans being slaughtered in horror movies and consider it just fine. But showing deformed and grostesque images that, unless I missed something, aren't murdering each other is something that repels. not because of their actions.. for the most part they simply exist in a weird setting, but because they aren't attractive. Isn't it odd to have that reaction?

Now.. there may be some scenes of violence I am not remembering, but if there are, I don't even remember them. Regular TV shows tons of violence and attractive people flaunting skin, but these aren't sexy people.. they are far less. I think in a way our reactions to them should tell us something about our own inner prejudices... why are we repulsed by something that simply exists and takes no action? It's like an ugly bug or reptile.. people are scared and repelled by them.

I think anything that can get a strong reaction from our jaded world without gratuitous violence or sex or vicious verbal attacks is pretty impressive.

Just my thoughts.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 22
Casual Observer
Offline
Casual Observer
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 22
I find it interesting that people tend to equate "disturbing" with that which is "unattractive" or outside of our preconceptions. There is a strangely compassionate tone to the paintings I perused (unfortunately, my browser is having issues, so the animations weren't an option). Some seem to me an attempt to connect with our own suffering and fears by laying bare the suffering and fear of some of the characters. Others seem to be a comment on the ugliness of certain human impulses. I think that one the artists great talents is that he can capture the sometimes subtle difference in character and complexity of the experience of suffering, whether by circumstance or by our own foibles. I think we can connect most directly with the characters through our own sense of emotional grotesquenss.
By the way, did not Jesus hang out with lepers and outcasts, the humble, and the ugly? Was it not his own compassion and humility that made him beautiful? And was not Lucifer the most beautiful of angels, but fell for his vanity and his attempts to sow prejudice and strife among the angels, and thereby divide the house of heaven?

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Sean,

Interesting perspective. Thanks for checking it out! I think you'll find the animations very interesting once you get them working.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 583
T
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
T
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 583
Sean, yes Jesus was the first one to hang out with the unwanted ones. I totally agree. But there is a difference between that and the violence I see being portrayed. In one video a robot befriends another robot. He gains his trust and they go on a quest to find God knows what. When they reach a room with some kind fo scroll of words a deep scary voice mumbles confusing jibberish nonscense that brings confusion to ones mind. That is not Christ like. If Christ lives in you the Holy Spirit gives your spirit a check and tells you that something is not of Him but of the evil one. We should not take that into our minds. I felt Satan immediately when I watched and heard that. If Christ truly lives in ones spirit He requires us to reject that. If you have not given your heart to Christ it will be very easy for you to be open to spirits of another nature. Beware! As the video continues the robot sneaks up to the other and knocks his head off and kills him leaving him on the floor with stuff leaking out from his head. The other robot touches his head as if to say I am sorry and gets his eyes to open. A somewhat attempt to try and make it right. Still very confusing. Definately demonic and from a distraught mind. If you know your scripture God has not given us a spirit of confusion and fear but one of a clear mind full of hope and clarity. I say protect your minds. If you do not, you will easily be swayed into dark thinking like this man. Even Satan can pass out talent. Everything Satan did when he fell from grace was to mimick the Savior he once loved and worshipped. He does it well. That is why so many people on this earth are deceived and blinded by Him. The most important thing is to figure out which God you are serving. Alot of people don't. God wants us to glorify Him in everything we do. I know I fall short all the time. I am not claiming to be perfect, no one is.

What I am trying to say is, it is fine to express yourself in whatever medium of art you desire. But what we all do has a spiritual aspect. This particular artist has a great vehicle for satan to travel in and he is drawing many people in through his vehicle. I worry for all people who don't know Jesus Christ because this would be most appealing to those. Protect your minds people.

Tammy

www.tammyedwards.com

Last edited by TAMERA64; 07/12/07 02:49 PM.
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,867
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,867
Dearest Tammy,
I decided to go view that animation based upon your review of it. You know I honor your most sacred view of Jesus. So, I had to see what was up.

To me, it looked as if Chris Mars was showing through this piece the ill effects of mind-altering drugs. There was a young "menace" growing inside his mind as a result of those drugs. Then, the jibberish he was reading was a depiction of the lower form of hateful thoughts that go through one's mind when they are in that lowered awareness. If you listen to the words in the jibberish, they contained a very low quality of words (crap, shi... etc) .that were strung together without much sense to them. However, when a person is in that state just before life is no longer valuable to them, they are not making sense and they only relate to the lowest forms of communication.

If you remember, after he knocks the head off the robot, a few things occur. You again get the view of the "menace" inside of his head where all the pills are floating around as the obvious companion to his insanity. The menace has grown into a huge size, even bigger than the robot himself. The influence of the drugs and the resultant "menace" are overwhelming the robot. However, when he bends over in remorse, it shows that, even with this drug-induced menace, the robot is still basically good.

But, the robot is blaming others for his own condition, as depicted by his last line of "If it weren't for you...." Thus, he was not up to being responsible, but instead was putting forth blame. (This scenario of the combination of drugs and blame shows me more of Satan's evil than anything else)

The biggest point for me in this animation, was the fact that Chris is depicting humanity as robots who are obviously being controlled by drugs, even though the drugs are somehow related to this "menace" and people are killing people when they are on these drugs. (All nine college shootings involved the shooter taking these very drugs)

He then, ends this piece by having the head of the robot continue to be unaware of what is going on around him. This severed robot still talks about the inclement weather just like he was doing earlier at the piano. (I saw the piano scene as an example of the social chit chat people do without ever going deeper than the surface.)

Anyway, that's my take on it. Evil, to me, is something that causes a spirit to move away from its highest potential of good. Some people cannot see evil. I truly feel this artist is trying to get people to get better at looking so that they can truly see it.

For me, it's the principle of "Seek and ye shall find." So, that's just my take. We all see things from our own perspective. What truth you see is what is true for you. What truth I see is true for me. They are both truth the way we each see it.

BTW, if you look at the title of this piece, "Secondhand Loppo," and try to think of it as the theme of the animation, then you can possibly view the piece knowing that he is giving a message about a "lop" (to cut off or remove as unnecessary) that is "secondhand" (not obtained from the original source). I viewed that title as saying the story was about a severing of something deemed unnecessary which came from an outside source. Thus, the drugs and "menace" were the secondary source of the robot's urge to lop off the other robot's head.

Respectfully,
Heidi

Last edited by Heidi Thompson; 07/12/07 05:13 PM.

"And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." Paul McCartney
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,167
Likes: 29
Top 40 Poster
Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,167
Likes: 29
There is a saying that beauty is only skin deep,while ugly goes right to the bone.A beautiful person can be ugly on the inside, while an ugly person can be beautiful on the inside.God looks on the heart and HE knows if a person is good or evil,we can only look at the outside and we make our assessment on what we see,and we equate ugly with evil and beauty with good,not always the case though.Satan can appear beautiful while he is ugly and evil right to the bone.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Heidi,

I thought the second robot was the firsts elderly father. And at the end, the second isn't dead as he seems to speak again.

I thought the middle one was the most interesting. Listen to the words when they aren't gibberish. Very deep concepts.

I sent a note to the artist and he told me that he did all the voices, animations and script. I didn't ask him his meaning behind it because the most fun thing is to view it through your own eyes/mind. I think it's really interesting that from different people it means very different things. That's the strength of art like this over more literal mediums that must tell you point blank what you're supposed to get from it.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,867
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,867
Hey Brian,
Yes, I will certainly give it another view and listen. There seems to be many layers of communication going on, so I'm sure I'll gain more understanding by viewing it several times. What amazes me is that this artist took his art from the medium of painting and added the dimensions of animation, music, story, voiceover, etc. to create a multi-layered artistic communication. Unreal. I'd actually love to hear the artist's summation of what he was communicating after I try to see it for myself a few more times. Any possibility of that, Brian?

Heidi


"And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." Paul McCartney
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Heidi,

I don't know. I've only gotten one previous email response from Chris and he only knows me as a fan of his work (which is the only way I've presented myself) so I don't know if he'd have time or interest in getting involved directly and I am hesitant to ask. I discovered his work as an artist without even being aware of who he was. I am sure that many folks become interested because he was part of a seminal Rock band but I think it is cool that I was entranced by his work before I had made that connection.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 22
Casual Observer
Offline
Casual Observer
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 22
Tammy, I was not trying to enter into a theological discussion, I only meant to point out that beauty and disturbing are relative terms to our personal experiences. Furthermore, I was unable to open the animations, so I was writing directly about his paintings.
Maybe we could one day talk about our senses of faith, but that is not what I was trying to provoke, and I don't feel that this is necessarily the proper forum. I apologize if you took any offense. I will, however, offer this: if one's heart is truly full of God's love, then shaitani, or demons, or Satan and they're accompanying illusions simply have no power. Period. We learn far more through our compassion than our fears. There is no reason to fear any whispers in the back door to our hearts if our sense of faith is strong. Peace and blessings be with you.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 737
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 737
Brian, I looked over the works. Most of it was a bit more complicated than I am used to.

I did not get Bot Film (it's original title) until I read your and Heidi's thoughts. Then it made some sence. The tyrade in the middle of the film was an interesting bit of word smithing. Seems like I knew someone that did well in that art, but now it escapes me...

My favorite is called Bard's Moment (the 3rd film). I actually found it quite humorous.


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
OP Offline
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016
Likes: 34
I thought the 3rd one was pretty sad actually.. hahaah. Thanks for checking them out! I think there's a lot of motivation to be found by looking at other types of art when making music.

Brian


Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Skype: Brian Austin Whitney
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Newest Members
EdKreider, KyleCrawford, LukeMeyers, KimBilbrew, AdamSadowski
21,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics129,064
Posts1,185,735
Members21,480
Most Online236,505
Jul 1st, 2026
Just Plain Quotes
"Sometimes reaching a goal earlier than planned is a great achievement. It shows you have worked hard, pushed ahead and made it happen. However, sometimes reaching a goal far past your original deadline, long after you wanted to complete it, and after the accolades you might once have gotten for the achievement are over, it is an even greater achievement. This shows you never gave up, due to adversity, deficit, criticism and those little life detours that end many dreams and goals. In many ways, this is a reason for even more pride!" -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,367,548 Prophecy anyone?
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5