|
6 members (KyleCrawford, Gary E. Andrews, texritter, Guy E. Trepanier, Michael W. Brown, 1 invisible),
16,840
guests, and
5,512
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6
Casual Observer
|
OP
Casual Observer
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6 |
Hello! I'm relatively new to this whole music thing, I've only been performing in places since October. Can any of you share some tips for getting over stage fright with me? I've had a real problem with it. Also any tips on vocal exercises would be very much appreciated.
Oh, and one more thing, does anybody know some good places around Toronto and surrounding areas that are good to perform at? Any help would be appreciated!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
Casual Observer
|
Casual Observer
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 4 |
Congratulations on your drive to get past stage fright...
A quick search online should find you some tips and ideas to get rid of stage fright... I have seen a few in the past.
Apparently, after a certain number of times (I can't remember the number), it becomes just about natural and you just worry less.
Remember to have some fun - learning relaxation techniques can be useful not just for stage fright but to help you relax generally (I always liked that book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff).
I know the tips above are sort of general but I hope it helps point you in the right direction.
As to vocal exercises - the best exercise is to practice... It's sort of tacky but - your voice is your instrument. Getting to learn its possibilities and limitations will definitely help. Again, a quick search online can find you some ideas - I've seen a few resources specifically for this in the past, too.
Best of luck!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 202
Serious Contributor
|
Serious Contributor
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 202 |
Jennifer: I hear that some performers never do get over their stage fright. Sometimes it may become debilitating. And still, we get up on that stage.
You may learn to be comfortable on the stage; used to being there with a group of strangers in front of you making demands for their entertainment. Remember that they do not know that you weren’t born on that stage.
Enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy the flood of adrenaline, the dry-mouth, the paralyzation of some of the facial muscles, the quivering of the extremities, the shallow breathing and the reduction in body temperature. It’s fun, and it won’t last forever.
Darby
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 411
Top 500 Poster
|
Top 500 Poster
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 411 |
Good breathing technique is not only a vocal practice, but it also helps out with relaxing yourself just before you go on stage. I still go through my own little breathing routine before going on stage. One of the excercises I do just before going on stage is I take a big breath in, and then I try to release 7 equal exhales of breath. On the last breath you should be releasing the last bit of air from your lungs. If you run out of air by the 5th or 6th blow, then try again. Relax and slow down your pace. I always feel more relaxed when I take a couple of minutes to breath deeply just before going on. It's my own little ritual. Everyone has to figure out their own little thing.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6
Casual Observer
|
OP
Casual Observer
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6 |
Thanks a lot, everyone. I found some vocal tips on the Net, just like you said :-)
Now... to find somewhere to perform... ;-)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 4
Casual Observer
|
Casual Observer
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 4 |
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JenniferSheppard: Hello! I'm relatively new to this whole music thing, I've only been performing in places since October. Can any of you share some tips for getting over stage fright with me? I've had a real problem with it. Also any tips on vocal exercises would be very much appreciated.
Oh, and one more thing, does anybody know some good places around Toronto and surrounding areas that are good to perform at? Any help would be appreciated!</font> I've been playing in front of people since I was at least 15, I'm ADD and I now take a beta blocker to shut my adrenalin down but all my life I've suffered from severe stage fright. Took 4 years of theater to try to deal with it and it didn't help but I couldn't stay off the stage. It usually took at least 2 songs before I'd quit sweating, hands shaking and and trying to make my hands play the guitar while not forgetting the words while I sang. I now take Inderal to shut the adrenalin down and other than that, just get up there and keep playing is the best remedy. If you touch one person in the audience then you have done what you're up there for. With out an audience, being a musician wouldn't be near as much fun. If you're worried about if they'll notice the mistakes, don't dwell on it. You notice them a lot more than they do. Take a deep breath and picture the stage as your livingroom and they've all come to visit you, not you being there to visit them. Good Luck. ------------------ Cindy
Cindy
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 61
Serious Contributor
|
Serious Contributor
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 61 |
Vocal: Every singer needs a good coach. There is no replacing the one to one of a good teacher in the room with you. A good coach will take care of the breathing part by teaching you the proper technique. Although you probably never will get over stage fright (I never have), at least knowing you have control of your instrument will give you more self-confidence when you step on stage. I don't think the internet is a great place for a singer to get instruction. The internet can't hear you when you do something incorrectly. Valleri Sauro Toronto Co-Ordinator
Val
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,049
Posts1,185,698
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|