|
7 members (Gary E. Andrews, texritter, KyleCrawford, Guy E. Trepanier, Michael W. Brown, CTthomas, 1 invisible),
15,019
guests, and
5,430
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 12,225 Likes: 54
Top 10 Poster
|
OP
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 12,225 Likes: 54 |
I have been having a dialogue with the Entertainment co ordinator, and he's now expressed reservations, saying he wants to ensure all the music is "R&B kinda "upbeat"
I replied that this went against the philosophy of inclusion practiced by JPF... and that we were certainly prepared to ensure there was a reasonable quality on stage, but that we would not be prepared to exclude performers just because they did not play a specific genre.
As this seemed very important to him, I told him that perhaps JPF was not a good fit for the fall fair. He agreed that if we could not provide R&B upbeat stuff, that it was was probably true.
So I cannot see coming to an agreement with Rotary at this point.
I believe, and I think you all agree, that we should not go against one of JPF's founding principles in order to satisfy anyone's needs.
In any event, I wished him the best of luck and left things open.
If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 61
Serious Contributor
|
Serious Contributor
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 61 |
You should tell the guy to get his butt out to a meeting and check out the interesting stuff we have going on. Well, we'll just have to have a showcase somewhere else for something else. I'll start digging.
Val
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 12,225 Likes: 54
Top 10 Poster
|
OP
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 12,225 Likes: 54 |
I think because the gentleman in question is a performing musician, he has very definite views on what he wants. The thought of an eclectic group of largely unknows scares him.
Do I think he's right? Of course not, but I do think one of our aims going forward is to prove to him how wrong he was... not out of malice or anything...
And yeah, lets move forward. See you Wed night.
If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 3
Casual Observer
|
Casual Observer
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 3 |
I agree with Val, John. If the guy can't see where we're coming from, I truely believe we should hold our own showcase or be in touch with another organization that would better appreciate our contribution.
I was just talking to my wife regarding such an event and actually, I wanted to do this sort of thing to begin with, showcase songwriters in all genre for a fund raising event for breast cancer research. My wife has been a breast cancer survivor, already twice. She was first afflicted by the illness in 1996 and again in 2002. Though it's in remission, we don't know what to expect will happen next, especially in such a disease.
Anyway, I'd very much like to be involved in organizaing such a fundraising event if ever one should materialize and hope everyone will be supportive on this. I would also be in touch with The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation to inquire on how to organize such an event and what they can do for us to help, and in turn, help them out also. I'll see you guys tonight.
Marc
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 12,225 Likes: 54
Top 10 Poster
|
OP
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 12,225 Likes: 54 |
Great idea Marc. Goes along the lines I was going to propose. Find a worhwhile charity, approach them, and ask for their help in organizing...seed funding for the stage\equipment, park permits etc, and we would show up to play...could have craft sales etc, all funds go to that charity. So yeah, lets chat about it.
And I would not get too down on Rotary with this. They have a very definite idea of what they wanted, and it is their event...we simply cannot give them what they want. Personally I think we could have given them something more than what they asked for, but hey...
[This message has been edited by John Voorpostel (edited 07-16-2003).]
If writing ever becomes work I think I'm going to have to stop
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 61
Serious Contributor
|
Serious Contributor
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 61 |
Great idea Marc. I'm there. Hope to see you tonight.
Val
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,048
Posts1,185,697
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|