Who's Online Now
7 members (Gary E. Andrews, texritter, Michael W. Brown, Everett Adams, bennash, 2 invisible), 66,588 guests, and 5,649 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Register Today!
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
What's Going On
Mark Berry of AMG
by Sunset Poet - 09/30/26 01:13 PM
rosecoloredworld
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:01 PM
Patrizia Jazz Vocalist
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:24 AM
Red Bicycle Hall, Madison IN
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 12:13 AM
My Heart Stop Beating And Said Damn You
by bennash - 09/29/26 10:16 PM
Good Morning America
by bennash - 09/29/26 07:53 PM
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/29/26 02:00 PM
Money Money
by Rob B. - 09/28/26 06:23 PM
Bayside, Charleston SC
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 08:32 AM
Valerie June
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 01:34 AM
Ground Shaker, Switzerland
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/28/26 12:21 AM
Greyshadow
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 09:54 PM
Via Castello
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:40 PM
Gilla Band
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:32 PM
Abigail Rose
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/27/26 07:15 PM
The Image In My Head
by texritter - 09/27/26 02:18 PM
Jamison Wake
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 09:48 AM
Soliloquy Records
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 01:42 AM
John Andrews & the Yawns
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 01:19 AM
Mission Bayfest Presented by SMKFLWR
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/26/26 12:13 AM
Cassandra Coleman
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/25/26 09:23 PM
Macey City Soundtrack
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/25/26 04:40 PM
Where is the morality of the young people going?
by bennash - 09/25/26 11:10 AM
Another Chance To Love
by Rob B. - 09/25/26 09:01 AM
Is Sync Music Going to Hell...
by bennash - 09/25/26 01:54 AM
Moxie Events, Chillicothe
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/24/26 09:26 PM
Great Lakes Acoustic Music Association, Kalamazoo
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/24/26 08:45 PM
The Girl On TV
by Rob B. - 09/24/26 04:33 AM
Mari Wilson
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/23/26 10:42 PM
Micanical license Signatures
by bennash - 09/23/26 11:33 AM
Top Posters
Calvin 19,858
Travis david 12,380
Kevin Emmrich 10,943
Jean Bullock 10,330
Kaley Willow 10,240
Two Singers 9,649
Joice Marie 9,186
Fdemetrio 9,129
Mackie H. 9,003
glynda 8,688
Mike Dunbar 8,574
Tricia Baker 8,318
couchgrouch 8,240
Colin Ward 7,911
Corey 7,357
Sunset Poet 7,151
Vicarn 6,916
Mark Kaufman 6,589
ben willis 6,114
Lynn Orloff 5,788
Louis 5,725
Linda Sings 5,608
KimberlyinNC 5,210
Neil Cotton 4,909
Derek Hines 4,893
DonnaMarilyn 4,700
bennash 4,563
Blake Hill 4,528
Bob Cushing 4,389
Roy Cooper 4,303
MFB III 4,237
Bill Osofsky 4,199
Tom Shea 4,195
Cindy Miller 4,178
TamsNumber4 4,172
nightengale 4,096
E Swartz 4,029
beechnut79 3,878
Caroline 3,865
Kolstad 3,845
Dan Sullivan 3,710
Dottie 3,427
joewatt 3,411
Bill Cooper 3,279
John Hoffman 3,199
Skip Johnson 3,027
Pam Hurley 3,007
Terry G 3,005
PopTodd 2,901
Nigel Quin 2,891
Harriet Ames 2,870
MidniteBob 2,764
Nelson 2,616
Tom Tracy 2,558
Jerry Jakala 2,524
Al Alvarez 2,499
Eric Thome 2,448
Hummingbird 2,401
Stan Loh 2,263
Sam Wilson 2,247
Wendy D 2,236
Judy Hollier 2,232
Erica Ellis 2,202
maccharles 2,134
TrumanCoyote 2,096
Marty Helly 2,041
Rob B. 2,021
DukeWill 2,009
floyd jane 1,985
Clint Anglin 1,904
cindyrella 1,888
David Wright 1,866
Clairejeanne 1,851
Cindy LaRosa 1,824
Ronald Boyt 1,675
Iggy 1,653
VNORTH2 1,652
Noel Downs 1,633
Rick Heenan 1,608
Cal 1,574
GocartMoz 1,559
Jack Swain 1,554
Bill Draper 1,553
Pete Larsen 1,537
Ann Tygart 1,529
Tom Breshers 1,487
RogerS 1,481
Tom Franz 1,479
David Gill 1,462
IronKnee 1,455
Chuck Crowe 1,441
Ralph Blight 1,440
Rick Norton 1,435
Kenneth Cade 1,429
Deej56 1,419
bholt 1,411
Letha Allen 1,409
in2piano 1,404
Stan Simons 1,402
mattbanx 1,384
Jen Shaner 1,373
Charlie Wong 1,347
KevinP 1,324
Vondelle 1,316
Tom W. 1,313
Jan Petter 1,301
scottandrew 1,294
lane1777 1,280
Gerry 1,280
DakLander 1,265
PeteG 1,242
Ian Ferrin 1,235
Glen King 1,214
IdeaGuy 1,209
AaronAuthier 1,177
summeoyo 1,174
ckiphen 1,162
Diane Ewing 1,162
joro 1,082
BobbyJoe 1,075
S.DEE 1,040
yann 1,037
9ne 1,035
WesRyan 1,018
Tony A 1,016
argo 986
peaden 984
90 dB 964
Wolvman 960
Jak Kelly 912
krtinberg 890
Petra 883
RJC 845
Brenda152 840
Nadia 829
ant 798
Juan 797
TKO 784
Dayson 781
frahmes 781
teletwang 762
Irwin 755
Andy Kemp 751
Andy K 750
tbryson 737
Jackie444 731
Pat Hardy 704
3daveyO3 704
Dixie 701
Joy Boy 695
Knute 686
Moosesong 679
Lee Arten 678
Katziis 652
R.T.MOORE 638
quality 637
CG King 622
douglas 621
R&M 614
Mel 614
NaomiSue 601
Shandy 590
Ria 587
TAMERA64 583
qbaum 570
nitepiano 566
pRISCILLA 556
Tink2 553
musica 539
BB Wilbur 529
deanbell 528
RobertK 527
BonzaiWag 523
Roderic 522
goodfolks 499
Zeek 487
Stu 486
Steve P. 481
KathyW 462
allenb 459
MaxG 458
Philjo 454
fanito 448
trush48 448
dmk 442
Rob L 439
arealrush 437
DGR 436
avweek 435
Stephen D 433
Emmy 431
marquez 422
kit 419
Softkrome 417
kyrksongs 415
RRon 408
Laura G. 407
VNORTH 407
Debra 407
eb 406
cuebald 399
EdPerrone 399
Dannyk1 395
Hobart 395
ddreuter 394
Davyboy49 393
Smile 389
GJShades 387
Alek 386
Ezt 384
tone 380
Marla 380
Ann_F 379
iggyiggy 378
coalminer 377
java 374
spidey 371
sweetsong 370
danny 367
Jim Ryan 360
papaG 353
Z - man 350
JamesDF5 348
John K 348
Jaden 344
TheBaz 340
Steggy 339
leif 339
tonedeaf 336
rickwork 334
Eddie Ray 332
Johnboy 328
Bob Lever 328
Helicon1 327
lucian 326
Muskie 321
kc 319
Z. Mulls 318
ptondreau 313
ONOFFON 312
Chris B. 310
trush 304
ed323 297
Ellen M 294
markus-ky 294
lizzorn 291
nicnac49 290
Char 286
ktunes 285
Top Likes Received
bennash 146
Fdemetrio 101
Rob B. 100
VNORTH2 68
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1218453 09/24/26 04:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 147
Likes: 4
Serious Contributor
OP Online Content
Serious Contributor
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 147
Likes: 4
Several days back I was listening to a song posted by John Paragreen (A ladder with a million rungs) and I was reading the comments, John and Bill Draper was chatting and Bill made the statement (the image that popped into my head). I thought The image in my head and asked if they would be OK with me using that and both of them was OK with it.

I know right off the angle I had in mind. this isn't an autobiography, but my does have stage 3 Ovarian cancer so that may have had something to do with the angle. She's going through chemo now then will have to have a major surgery and more chemo. If all goes well she'll have a 40% chance of making it 4 to 5 more years.

I have spent two days in a hospital waiting room, I took a pen and a notebook with me and jotted down thoughts for this one. It is a bit longer than I had in mind but when I listen it doesn't feel too long to me.

https://soundclick.com/track/15344802

The Image In My Head

I was eighteen with Grandpas old six-string
Two dollars and a pocket full of dreams
Thought I'd take on the whole world
And become the man I thought I'd be
Had my Dad's old rusty Ford pickup
Had a girl I swore I'd wed
Had a thousand roads ahead of me
And a picture in my head

Some roads I thought would lead me home
Some dreams never came true
I lost a few along the way
And found some I never knew
I came home to little voices calling, "Dad"
I let some moments slip away
And left some "I love yous" unsaid
Now I'm thinking 'bout that kid

'Cause when you hear that doctor say
You've got more days behind than ahead
You start looking at your whole life
Through a different kind of lens

Did I live up to the image in my head?
That young man I was back then
Did I love like I said I'd love?
Did I become a better man?
Did I give more than I took?
Did I leave something good behind?
If that boy could see me standing here
Would he recognize my life?
I've got no more years to borrow
No more words left unsaid
So I'm asking that young man one last time---
Did I live up to
The image in my head?

I see my wife across the room
She's trying hard not to cry
I wanna tell her I'm not scared
But we both know that's a lie
I see my children as they were
With their little hands in mine
Funny how the years can disappear
In the blink of an eye

I thought I'd have forever
To get everything right
But forever is just a word
When you're staring down goodbye

Did I live up to the image in my head?
That young man I was back then
Did I love like I said I'd love?
Did I become a better man?
Did I give more than I took?
Did I leave something good behind?
If that boy could see me standing here
Would he recognize my life?
I've got no more years to borrow
No more words left unsaid
So I'm asking that young man one last time---
Did I live up to
The image in my head?

Maybe he didn't need a mansion
Maybe he didn't need to be somebody
Maybe all he ever wanted
Was a hand to hold when he got old
Maybe being someone's shelter
Maybe being the man someone can trust
Was the picture he was chasing
Without knowing it back then

Sometimes I wish I could go back
And find that boy still living in me
Put my hand upon his shoulder
And tell him, "You're gonna see...
Life ain't always gonna give you
Everything you thought you'd get
But don't be afraid to love it---
You'll learn what matters in the end."

Did I live up to the image in my head?
Yeah, I think I finally know
I wasn't always who I wanted
But I never quit the road
I loved a woman with my whole heart
I watched my children grow
I took the good along with the bad
And gave more than I owed
And if that young man could see me now
I think he'd understand---
You don't have to live a perfect life
To become a better man

So when they lay me down tomorrow
And the last thing I see is him
That eighteen-year-old boy

I'll tell him
"You made it farther than you knew..."

Then I'll close my eyes
And let that image
Carry me through

Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 93
Likes: 1
J
Serious Contributor
Offline
Serious Contributor
J
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 93
Likes: 1
Hi Tex, really nice song and moving story which I relate to, six years ago I had prostate cancer, I had robotic surgery to remove the whole prostate,I still get yearly check ups.I hope things work out well, tell your loved one a guy from Scotland sends his best wishes
all the best, john.


please visit my soundclick page to hear songs recorded by musicians world wide

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=429802
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,151
Likes: 87
Top 40 Poster
Online Content
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,151
Likes: 87
It's gorgeous Tex.

Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 147
Likes: 4
Serious Contributor
OP Online Content
Serious Contributor
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 147
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by johnparagreen
Hi Tex, really nice song and moving story which I relate to, six years ago I had prostate cancer, I had robotic surgery to remove the whole prostate,I still get yearly check ups.I hope things work out well, tell your loved one a guy from Scotland sends his best wishes
all the best, john.

Thanks John, I'll tell her and I want to wish you the best of luck.
Tex

Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 147
Likes: 4
Serious Contributor
OP Online Content
Serious Contributor
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 147
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by Sunset Poet
It's gorgeous Tex.

Thanks Marty, I'm happy you took time to listen and reply.
Best to you
Tex

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,151
Likes: 87
Top 40 Poster
Online Content
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,151
Likes: 87
Originally Posted by texritter
Originally Posted by Sunset Poet
It's gorgeous Tex.

Thanks Marty, I'm happy you took time to listen and reply.
Best to you
Tex

Actually Tex,

I listened to it two or three times marveling at what a lovely expression that it is, and how well written the song is.

IMO that is one the major failings of these ammy song sites...
when someone who writes as well as you, puts up something as good as this song, there are very few people able to recognize how good it is, and/or not wanting to recognize how good it is.

Neither of which changes the fact, that it is a very fine song.
Keep them coming...please.

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,129
Likes: 99
F
Top 20 Poster
Offline
Top 20 Poster
F
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,129
Likes: 99
Its a good song, I think its a bit verbose, and the music leads you to think the chorus is in several places.

Doesn't resolve well enough me. The hook and title is "the image in my head", which you wouldn't take away from listening.

Wasn't crazy about about the spoken word.

That said, it is a very nice introspective look at ones life. I could imagine youngsters being inspired, and older reflecting.

To piggy back on what Marty said, id say now that everybody has Suno, everybody thinks there's is as good as anyone else's.

The real problem with ammy sites, is that not enough people know what a good song is, suno augments that

Marty likes old country, nothing else is good.

Doesn't get it.

But the bottom line there's not enough users here.

I enjoyed the song, the part I like about it, I dont think can be learned. Its just who you are

Last edited by Fdemetrio; 09/26/26 06:05 PM.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,151
Likes: 87
Top 40 Poster
Online Content
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,151
Likes: 87
Marty likes anything written well , with a compelling message, and music of any genre that delivers it.

My 2 favorite songs are Without You by Nielsson and Unbreak My Heart by Tony Braxton. Neither is traditional country.

Tex song may be, but it is standout at this site. Maybe anywhere.

Don't dungbeetle Dom. You have your opinions and I have mine. You've been doing better lately.

Should I address you as 9th street line?
Such an easy read.

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,129
Likes: 99
F
Top 20 Poster
Offline
Top 20 Poster
F
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,129
Likes: 99
Originally Posted by Sunset Poet
Marty likes anything written well , with a compelling message, and music of any genre that delivers it.

My 2 favorite songs are Without You by Nielsson and Unbreak My Heart by Tony Braxton. Neither is traditional country.

Tex song may be, but it is standout at this site. Maybe anywhere.

Don't dungbeetle Dom. You have your opinions and I have mine. You've been doing better lately.

Should I address you as 9th street line?
Such an easy read.

Just wondering if you saw the irony of you saying
"The problem with ammy sites, nobody recognizes a good writer"

How would an ammy know the difference yet you transcend this and so it is?

A guy who never posts, nonetheless

Now dont hijack this thread any further

Last edited by Fdemetrio; 09/26/26 07:29 PM.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,151
Likes: 87
Top 40 Poster
Online Content
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,151
Likes: 87
I've run over the time allocated this month for Illuminating dung beetles.

But I'll leave you with a challenge:

See if you can write a song anywhere near as compelling as the one in this thread. Once you've done that, I'll take your sensibilities regarding this song more seriously than I do now.

You also need to spend less time on the internet as 9th Street line, Etc and more time focused on guarding the properties that you're being paid to guard.

That's the right thing to do.

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,129
Likes: 99
F
Top 20 Poster
Offline
Top 20 Poster
F
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,129
Likes: 99
And not a good listener either.

Listening is imperative to writing, playing, producing, the whole nine

Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 147
Likes: 4
Serious Contributor
OP Online Content
Serious Contributor
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 147
Likes: 4
Hay Dom,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and leave a reply.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Support Just Plain Folks

We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.


Newest Members
EdKreider, KyleCrawford, LukeMeyers, KimBilbrew, AdamSadowski
21,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics129,057
Posts1,185,713
Members21,480
Most Online236,505
Jul 1st, 2026
Just Plain Quotes
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
Today's Birthdays
crazy32 (53), MFB III (2026)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,364,326 Prophecy anyone?
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5