James Perrett wrote"

"Some of the mics you link to look like standard Chinese mics"

Actually, they all are. Or rather, they started out that way.

The point is that the stock is basically quite useable, but like a hotrod that started out as a stock unit, all of the mics linked to above are modified. These folks all take advantage of the inexpensive "stock", and improve upon it, significantly.

Don't take my word for it. Follow up on Google to read what folks with hands on experience with many different makes and models have to say.

Her's one tasty quote, just to give you the idea:

"We blind-tested Joly's modified RSM-3 against each mic in various applications (guitar cabinet, acoustic guitar, grand piano, and even VOICE!!!!), and each time, that $100 RSM-3 with a $300 mod job beat the daylights out of those multi-thousand dollar ribbon mics. This is no joke, folks, and the studio owner who spent about $30,000 on all those classic ribbon mics found no humor in it at all.

Kramer"

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=146


For myself, all I can attest to is that a $60.00 (on clearance) MXL 9090 with a $100 mod is now one of the most useful and versatile mics I've ever heard. I even bought two more, while they were still available, and I'm saving my pennies to get them modded too.