Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
SOMA
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:11 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,049 Likes: 69
Top 25 Poster
|
OP
Top 25 Poster
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,049 Likes: 69 |
It 'hooked' me. As the first listener I got attached to the Melody and emotion and felt I had to rescue it from the obscenity that made it only suitable for singing in the privacy of my own home. We can be 'hooked' by the pleasure of emoting a Song's execution and fool ourselves that others will be hooked too. But I think this hooked me for the right reasons, Structure, Lyrical Storyline, Melody. It's not a 'destined to be classic', maybe, but it's entertaining to me for right now.
The creation of the Singer Character and Love Interest Character in Verse 1, Line 1, sets up a 'reality'. As the listener we're eavesdropping on their conversation, or his side of it anyway. A first Line generally hooks my interest, makes me wonder what the Singer Character is starting to tell me, and wanting to know where the Story might go. The 'next door' Line is scene-setting 'furniture', and 'Hard Rhyme' 'fighting you/writing to you' reinforce it for the listener. The very conversational prose communicates well. He's simply talking to her. The commas in the Title Line, THE Hook, indicate the 'rests' that I think make the delivery effective. 'Now I, Ain't Got Time, For Loving You'. He laments that time has moved on, the ever-elapsing moment of now, the only time there is, and life's circumstances now mean it's out of his control. Even the 'Maybe' in the Bridge is a lament, a longing for what he knows won't happen.
Verse II is explanatory, explaining how this change in what the Singer Character thinks he 'should have' done, 'walked away' and the repeat of the 'instead' idea, the Hard Rhyme 'talked and stayed', and 'we should be there in bed', are 'furniture' of a sort to reinforce the idea of their previous relationship, separation, and his regret.
The Bridge, brief, expresses a hope that they could stop fighting, and get together.
I decided to repeat Verse I after the Bridge, and I think it expresses the unresolved situation. I timed it but I forget the exact time. Under 3 minutes I think. Simplicity works.
Last edited by Gary E. Andrews; 12/26/25 01:08 PM.
There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,090
Posts1,185,792
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|