Actually I have roughly 60K CDs here but not that many of them from last awards. Last awards we did primarily via digital files. Only 10K came in via CD. There's already 1000 new CD's here and I have no idea when the next awards will be based on my health. But we hang on to CD's until the next awards so folks can send them in and get in line early.

When we do Roadtrips (also on hold for now) I am often disappointed that even the most active folks we have here don't come out even in their own home towns. Or when they do, often they sit in a corner and chat with each other rather than mix with everyone else. (And no, I don't mean everyone.. our last Nashville showcase had a nice mix of folks from the board and our regular Roadtrip attendees for example). I am also surprised that often board members don't enter the JPF awards. One year I was criticized that no board members were nominated in the awards. I had to break it to that person that none of those she pointed out had even entered.

Some people like message boards, but the vast majority don't. The 18K members registered here are a subset of musicians who will use a board, but a large % aren't music awards entrants, Roadtrip participants, Showcase performers, Chapter members or even officially signed up to be JPF members (meaning they don't get the Just Plain Notes email newsletter). I happen to be a person who enjoys message boards and the ability to bring up a topic on my mind. But since we started, sites like MySpace and Facebook and Twitter have done 2 things. One, it's attracted more folks to get on line to communicate, but two, it's taken up the time everyone of all types have to be on line doing anything at all.

Now it's even tougher to get active artists and songwriters and industry folks to spend time here. But I try hard to keep this as a good place to get honest info, safe places to network with musicians without getting flamed by trolls and a fair place that tries hard to treat people fairly when there's conflicts and remove those who gratuitously attack or offend. I've made some great friends here and kept up to date with a broad though unique swath of our members. I travel so I can meet another subsection. I do industry panel events so I can share what I've learned and meet another subsection. I do showcases so I can meet (and hear and see live) another big portion of the group and I do the music awards to get the largest base to participate and so we can recognize the great and diverse music made by our community and I send the newsletter out to over 50,000 members hoping to catch a large chunk of them with some positive and helpful information.

The point of me asking the question that is the subject of this post was first and foremost so I could here some of the best liked music being made by this particular subsection of JPF. It was also a chance for folks to give some praise to some of their peers who made music they really thought was worth some attention. The fact that 100% of the regulars on this MP3 board wouldn't jump at the chance to bring some positive attention to the music here on this board this year means either there just wasn't any good music so they simply could not find anything worth submitting OR they couldn't be bothered to help a peer and fellow board member. I've listened to all the music so far listed through the first dozen or so respondents. I heard 2 brilliant ideas that need work but are really excellent and fresh ideas and a couple really solid songs that stuck with me after only one listen which isn't hard to do. I really hoped that there would be at least 50 people here who were engaged enough to promote the music of their peers. I see some only promoted themselves. Since I didn't say that was banned I am not eliminating those, though I count the support of peers more than self promotion, but at least those folks cared about their music enough to put it out there.

So, before I shut this part down, I'll restate the request: Please post the 5 best songs you heard this year that were posted in 2010. That way the excuse that you haven't heard 100% of the songs is irrelevent. (And for my purpose, it really IS irrelevant).

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney