What has country come to? Despite the opinion of some, evolution is a reality in all things including music. Traditional 1-4-5 country music will probably not become extinct any time soon, just as rag time, swing, scat, soul, etc. Each will live on and inspire variations that ultimately lead to something different. That's what musical creativity is all about, isn't it?

I would not want to be bound by the Alan Jackson sound any more than I would care to be bound by the Shania Twain sound. I write music, country or otherwise, to be creative, not to follow any formula, and any traditional country music that ever got played on the radio was as formula driven and profit motivated as any other form of music - including the gaudy outfits and full-brimed Stetsons worn in the already well shaded Grand Ole Opry.

Sure, I like much of the old country music, but I look forward to hearing and writing what comes next after all the 1-4-5 song combinations have been played so many times they all begin to sound the same.

When others like what I write, that makes the effort truly worthwhile.

P.E. Knudsen

P.E. Knudsen