Originally Posted by Ted Martin
In my opinion the music business has come full circle back to the days when you had to play live to make money.

I betcha Markus Sepehrmanesh, Martin Sandberg, Linus Wiklund, Sarah Aarons, Mark Nilan, Geoff Warburton, Nathan Perez, Julian Bunetta and a few more would probably not confirm that statement. I'm not saying that it's easy to make a living as a non performing songwriter, but it's not impossible.

Originally Posted by Marc Barnette
The most recent statements just came out from BMI and ASCAP. Almost every hit writer I know has taken to Facebook to complain about what is happening. The biggest are people like Tom Douglas and Alan Shamblin, who wrote "HOUSE THAT BUILT ME", a huge break through hit from Miranda Lambert. They received 20 million streams from Spotify and Pandora and their checks were less than $1000 each.

Out of curiosity: Did they only show the statements they received for streaming? I mean, the song did sell just over 2 million copies in the U.S. which should generate them some mechanical royalties, around $182,000 total (not each). Everybody keeps saying radio is dying, yet, there are still a lot of radio stations out there and I'm sure they gave the song a few spins. Couldn't find any stats, but considering the success of the song, I'm sure this also got them around $100k. The video probably got a few spins on CMT = more royalties.

While I get where they come from, I don't think they are too bad off considering the bigger picture.

https://tunedly.com

Contact me at chris@tunedly.com