The most recent statements just came out from BMI and ASCAP. Almost every hit writer I know has taken to Facebook to complain about what is happening. The biggest are people like Tom Douglas and Alan Shamblin, who wrote "HOUSE THAT BUILT ME", a huge break through hit from Miranda Lambert. They received 20 million streams from Spotify and Pandora and their checks were less than $1000 each. So, no, the sky is NOT fallen. There is pretty much not a sky anymore.
But it does make everyone EQUAL. EQUALLY BROKE!!! LOL!

John, the actual point is that there is MORE MORE AND MORE PRODUCT OUT THERE. Every minute of every day, someone is releasing a video or song on YOU TUBE, FACEBOOK. Those are the primary movers and shakers of public thought. The same is happening with Videos, movies, books, novels, you name it. It is also the reason you see more and more FUNDRAISING, CROWDSOURCING, GO FUND ME, etc. out there. People are HAVING to raise the money themselves.

Some people use this to their advantage. Without input or interference from record companies, publishers, etc. there are less strings, and people are able to implement more of THEIR personal visions into their product. They are able to release it directly to their consumers. They are able to be who they are, put it into the marketplace and see where it takes them. There are multiple artists that are doing this. Again these are almost ALL self contained artists, so the days of the "outside songwriter"are pretty much done. Those are basically struggling in the LE Brea tar pits of the music industry.

But those that can devise their own strategies, be they independent film makers, screen writers, authors, etc. the new world is ALL DO IT YOUR SELF. Until you can find someone else to TAKE OVER THE JOB.

MAB