I agree totally, Mike.

Using your analogy, don't get in the ring until you learn how to fight. You've got to build strength (learn the basics), stamina (internalize the basics in practice...make them repeatable), skill (be fluent in using the basics), and style (give a personal touch to your work). Then you can worry about competing in the arena.

The whole thing about write, write, write, came from people who, for the most part, had classical educations in their field. Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Ring Lardner, Stephen Crane, Sinclair Lewis all worked as journalists. They read and analyzed the works of others. They knew the classics. How many folks who want to be "country" songwriters can describe the difference between a Texas and a Bakersfield swing? How many could explain the Cajun/Zydeco influence, or what 70's bands are being copied in modern country? How many know what chiaroscuro is? an anapest? Or foreshadowing? But many, instead, will write and ask their fellow beginning writers for a crit..."Gosh, that's a hit. You need to get it to Kenny Chesney." smile


You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music