I do adult contemporary covers (Elton John, Billy Joel, James Taylor,) as well as slipping in some of my own original music that is in the same genre. I am in the process of trying to put together some promotional materials so that I can get more gigs. I have some friends who are willing to help approach restaurant/bar owners and give them my info, and I have a few cover songs recorded I can put on a CD, as well as a website that I am in the process of revamping. I have also released my own music on CD, but I'm really trying to get gigs as a solo performer doing covers right now.

Question - When approaching a restaurant/bar owner, what type of materials would work best? Should I put together a traditional press kit in folder format? Should I include a CD with a few recorded covers? Is a CD and a business card a better idea? Are there any other promo materials that would work well? I do not have any press quotes and have only played at a couple of places. But I do have a Bachelor's Degree in Music Business and I play several instruments.

Any advice much appreciated.

Richard MacLemale
Music = http://www.richardmac.com