|
6 members (texritter, KyleCrawford, Guy E. Trepanier, Michael W. Brown, CTthomas, 1 invisible),
15,437
guests, and
5,484
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016 Likes: 34
Top 10 Poster
|
OP
Top 10 Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 20,016 Likes: 34 |
Hi Folks,
So when I sent out the newsletter yesterday, I expected to get a mixed reaction. I felt it was well written, but I know that there are many folks who can't get past the publicity about Ike Turner's drug and physical abuse. I didn't want to excuse or ignore it, but simply suggest that in the bigger picture, perhaps the story had a happy ending in context from where it was 30 years ago.
I was surprised at the overwhelming positive response I got. In fact, of over 200 emails, only 4 were negative. Of those, 1 person said I was an idiot in general (I almost always get one of those no matter what the topic.. it's been that way for 10 years) and another said they liked the article but had heard that Ike had a lot of relapses in his sobriety. (If true, that's sad to learn). The last two were what I expected. One from a woman very angry and glad he had died. The other more subdued and intellectual but with concerns that the abuse should wipe out any positive coverage. We had a long back and forth and I think we found we really agreed on most of it in the end.
Among the positive responses was a consistent thank you for giving a balanced and informed summary of his life. Few people knew all the facts and few found any of them in the mass media reports. Instead the mass media chose to basically report the facts from the movie and Tina's book instead of the vast info on his up and down life.
I didn't hear a lot from the regulars around here though. What did you all think?
Brian
Brian Austin Whitney Founder Just Plain Folks jpfolkspro@gmail.com Skype: Brian Austin Whitney Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney "It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney "Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|
Entire Thread
|
Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Brian Austin Whitney
|
12/14/07 04:52 PM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Patrick Bryant
|
12/14/07 08:56 PM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Mark Kaufman
|
12/14/07 09:13 PM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Bob Cushing
|
12/14/07 10:01 PM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Brian Austin Whitney
|
12/14/07 11:23 PM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Ray E. Strode (D)
|
12/14/07 11:44 PM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Jody Whitesides
|
12/15/07 12:23 AM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Mark Kaufman
|
12/15/07 04:23 AM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
ben willis
|
12/15/07 05:32 AM
|
Re: Friday, December 14th, 2007
|
Mark Kaufman
|
12/16/07 08:33 PM
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,049
Posts1,185,698
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|