Hey Matt,

The "cloud" is not really important re creativity or getting your ideas together.

What I find, that it's simply a storage space, and a space where you can "hire" software rather than own it.

That, together with software what allows you to work on a collaborative project with others, gives a focal point where computing power can be utilised.

Example ; I'm currently working on a 20 second 3d mock up where I want the camera to "walk" through the scene. If my own computer did it, the rendering would take 47 hours. If I use the cloud and a private provider, that same rendering takes about 20 minutes using "quote" a minimum of 3000 cpu's for about $10.

So it's about using money and time wisely, in regard to how much time do you have, and what is most cost effective.

There is no big drama about the cloud. It's simply just storing things on a bigger server, with far greater computing power, and being able to pay for hireage of a computer programme ( should you require it ) rather than owning the programme, and using that computing power to generate your finalised result. Simply something you cannot do with the best of domestic computers.

Stand alone ? That's fine, and for music, if you're not doing it professionally, most home computers will render music only in a relatively small amount of time.

cheers, niteshift