Aaron,

What I mean by that is that everything hinges on the relationships you build with these artists and their parents, relatives, etc. Those people are always going to be suspicious of people, and when contracts start coming around, they are going to be wary, as well they should be. There is nothing that will prevent them from leaving you behind if some really good opportunity comes along, and sometimes contracts just become messy.

On songs, the only real thing needed is who are the appropriate writers on the song and that would be in any publishing situation. As far as representation, manager, type situations, you are best to consult an attorney.

I would say the thing to remember is that pretty much everything in music goes agonizingly slow, even when you sign a deal it is often a year or so before they see the light of day, or even more. I have known artists with record deals for 8 years before being dropped. So you will probably have time no matter what might come up.

Personally what I do, is make sure everyone is on the same page and I involve the parents in any way I can. even sometimes going so far as to include them in writing songs. Has worked out well at times.

MAB