I think it's important that anyone who uses this type of software develop good ears for how to use it, like any other processing effect. If you go full throttle, you're going to end up with something that sounds perfect and mechanical and boring. The end result of the recording process, for me at least, is to end up with the best sounding song possible. The best sounding song possible does not have robot perfect vocals... though lots of "alternative" music do exactly that.

Side note - Alternative started out as a rebellious "real music" alternative to big hair metal, and look what's happened to it... a bunch of whiney twenty year old pretty boys who don't sing with vibrato because it might mess up the Autotune.

I think, too, that we ought to be careful about being high and mighty. I've talked to guys who swear they'd never use any pitch correction on voice because it's cheating, but then they quantize their keyboard parts. Hmm...

And quantizing a keyboard track has the exact same problem - stiff and robotic. A little fixing goes a long way. You can quantize 80% instead of 100%...

Richard MacLemale
Music = http://www.richardmac.com