This was a post praising nurses, as the next best thing to an angel.
I'm tinkering with the Lyric this morning. Here's a rewrite from the female Point-Of-View.
And I wondered if the Singer-Character should be less philosophical, telling others what 'you' should and shouldn't do, and 'own' it, First-Person with 'I' and 'me'.
I'm just exploring some options to see if something is more effective in hooking listener interest.
The "May Not" alternative Line seems to work except at the Coda, where the 'He Ain't No Angel" seems to work for simplicity's sake.
I'm just exploring possibilities. I'm wondering if others do this sort of rewrite, Female POV, edits, tweaks.

"He May Not Be An Angel (He's The Next Best Thing)"
Copyright May 9, 2020 by Gary E. Andrews.
Chords:
C/G 332O1O
C7 X323O1O
F X33211
G7 32OOO1

He's got an edge about him,
if you rub him the wrong way. (If I...)
I don't ever doubt him,
when he says what he'll say.
I leave him when he's quiet!
I give him time to think!
He May Not Be An Angel,
but he's The Next Best Thing.

I wake him in the mornin',
with a gentle nudge.
I leave him if he mumbles.
He ain't gonna budge!
Go fix him a breakfast. (I go..)
Give him his first drink. (and somethin' good/warm to drink)
He May Not Be An Angel!
He's The Next Best Thing.

He gave me days of sunshine, (More immediate, happening now, "He gives me...")
long nights with the Moon.
He helped me write the best lines, (He 'helps')
in my favorite tunes.
He says more with a smile,
and his funny wink.
He May Not Be An Angel,
He May Not Be An Angel,
He May Not Be An Angel.
He's The Next Best Thing.

This is 'Fabrication Songwriting', finding Lines with deliberation, as opposed to stream-of-consciousness 'inspiration' of Lines that tumble out and I make judgments afterward. Much of my editing and rewrite takes place in real time, redoing Lines to find the right way to say what I've stumbled on, and the Melodic prosody, with guitar in hand. Now I'm stuck working through those chords, trying to do the 'fit', the 'marriage' of Lyric with Melody to fit the guitar work.

Last edited by Gary E. Andrews; 10/17/22 02:10 PM.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com