Originally Posted by Marc Barnette
Hey guys,

As I have been trying to say for years, once the Internet came in and the overall money in music pretty much ended, this was going to happen. Songs are almost irrelevant now in a career.It is all about artist branding and since songs are for the most part, forgettable, which is what everyone complains about the radio for, artists record their own or are a part of a larger company, publisher, record label, production deal, they are not going to go to outside songs, period.

It is why I have stressed trying to recruit your own artists before they are signed in order to up the level of your odds, in having songs involved with that artist.

The "random pitch" of these services are very very rare, if at all. A blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then, and a stopped watch is right twice a day, so it is not impossible, but highly improbable.

The Internet exploded with writers and artists. All posting their own songs endlessly every day. It is said that around 100,000 songs an hour are uploaded to the Internet. So that is going to bring down every bit of money that can be made. Hundreds of millions of streams have to be accomplished to achieve any significant monetary gain. In order to make money on songs SOMEONE HAS TO PAY FOR THOSE SONGS. And most people don't pay for songs any more. So there is your rub. Most music is FREE.

And yes, the majority of hit songwriters now do workshops, online courses, and instruction and make more money off of that than the actual songs themselves.
Livingston Taylor (James Taylor's brother and artist in his own right) teaches at Berkelee conservatory of music. He once said "I don't know what to tell these people trying to graduate. At the end of the day, there is not a lot of music business left." (I'm paraphrasing)

The point is that the business is gone and not coming back. Doesn't mean there are not companies out there doing this, their are the reality shows, American Idol, The Voice, and still legitimate companies that do this. There are more people who are creating their own musical universes, through social media, performing their own shows, recording their own projects, creating their own fan bases.
There are regional and local artists who are out there doing it continually, although they don't reach the heights they wish they could, they are active.

There are people that have dual lives by doing this niche. A very good friend of mine has a regular job for a major industrial company, yet, has created his own niche touring in Europe several times a year playing festivals and other events.
There are things that can be done.

But signing up for some service that contacts you out of nowhere, claims to have all kinds of inside tracks, is always going to be sort of an iffy proposition. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions and I don't think any of these companies set out to rip people off. They would love to get a big hit. They would love to be able to do the morning talk shows or the late night Jimmy Kimmel's and say "This song came from a guy on a web site in Canada...." That would be nice.

Just doubtful it is going to happen. There are viral sensations that happen all the time. But like everything, fame is fleeting and even being famous now does not really translate into monetary gain.

So should Everett get into something like this? I have no idea. He should check it out as I suggested and contact some of the people who have actually been involved with this company. But I will tell you this, any involvement is not going to be free. They don't do this for free. If you can get someone pitching your stuff for a percentage or something on the back end, that would be more desirable.

But it is all just one more attempt at something that for the most part, doesn't exist any more.

And that is a fact we all have to face.
MAB

MAB,

How many thousands of times have we had to say all this, over and over and over against the tide of laughable scams that never end.

To Everyone else:

Let me (for once) try to be brief. Anyone with the wherewithal to do something legitimate for someone else without screwing them over is going to have a long long list of people they already know who are worthy of that opportunity in line ahead of you to NEVER EVER have to contact someone they haven't had a direct relationship with and know each other on a first name, face to face, how is your son, didn't your daughter get married, I heard your Dad got a promotion, I heard your sister got into Ball State University and so on. They are NEVER going to contact a stranger through Linked In or anywhere else trolling for suckers ...er... business.

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..." -Brian Austin Whitney

"Sometimes all you have to do to inspire humans to greatness is to give them a reason and opportunity to do something great." -Brian Austin Whitney