Hi, Marc. Thanks again for all your insight. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of this I already know. You should know that I am probably THE MOST grounded person you will ever meet, given what I have been through in the couple of years. I do not 'count' on any kind of success, nor do I expect any. I know that I have talent, but so what -- there are lots of talented writers in town with no cuts. I know that it is ultimately WHO you know.

Fortunately, I have no dependents or SO, so there will be no decisions on whether to buy that couch or do that demo. I am so broke that I probably couldn't afford to get any more than 1 or 2 demos a year done anyway.

The worst part of the reality is not that it is nearly impossible to make it, but that it is nearly impossible to get anyone to even listen to your music. I noticed that you commented on the genres of my songs without having listened to them. This is not a complaint, mind you. I mention it to illustrate the difficulty. As I said, I haven't been able to get BMI to listen to anything I have sent them.

Also, I am not good at networking. I've always been on the shy side. I also don't co-write, mainly because I am such an @ss about getting my way. That is another strike against me.

I am not sure I agree with you about having to 'pay your dues' for five years before you can even smell a break. It's really very simple. You just have to write undeniably GREAT songs. If you do that, it still might take five years, or forever, or it might take two days. Nobody knows if and when someone will get that big break. Everything you suggest is great advise since it increases your odds.

I am currently staying with a producer who has his own garage studio. I don't mean your typical garage studio either. He has GREAT equipment and sound. He is always telling me to co-write. He's been here for about 25 years and knows a lot about this biz.

I have a plugger lined up who can pitch my stuff. My only problem is getting it demoed and ready.

Fisherman hook fish; songwriters fish for hooks

Music Site
Political Forums