Hi,

I started to put this question in the "Networking Tips" forum by Mike, but I thought it might need it's own space.

I started working with musicicans and writers on line in the past year. So far, I really love being able to branch out by means of the internet. Recently, I started working in an even newer area for me, composing lyrics to tracks that musicicans have on sites like Soundclick, and I have really enjoyed that too.

Recently, I wrote a song to a beautiful piece of music and some questions have come from the aftermath of that. I know that this musician uses a license in common agreement, so when I contacted them about the song, the musician listened, said I wrote some good lyrics and they liked my voice, and that I didn't have to ask I could use any of the music there to write to. The person said if I ever sold the song they would get part of the proceeds, which I agree with and understand.

I believe there were 3 emails exchanged. Then I got this email:

Dear Ms Allen,

Just to let you know that I will not be responding to further emails as I don't wish wish to participate in musical collaboration outside of my usual forum. Please do not reply to this email and please do not send further. The Copyright guidelines are attached to my files in Soundclick.

Here are my questions on Online Networking, internet tracks and writing.

1) Is there certain protocall that is used in these instances? Have I broken some rule I don't know about? I did not ask for any colaboration, I wrote all the lyrics and recorded vocals and backups to the song. I only contacted the owner out of respect, as that is what I assumed you were supposed to do. I still feel that I should contact and inform musicians if I do something with their music. I know I would want to be aware of someone using mine.

2) It seems that as long as there is a common license, you can write to anyones music and post it and do anything except commercial use. If you pitch the song, isn't that commercial use?

3) According to this email, it sounds as if no other personal contact is ever wanted. How would this person expect to find out if I sold the song to some star and made a million dollars,lol? Am I supposed to send out telepathic waves?

4) Is this just a usual business blanket email, or should my feelings have gotten hurt (they did a little but I am too soft anyway). I know that I said or did nothing that I thought was unprofessional at all, so I really don't feel at fault and think it is the way they handle their business, but does anyone know that this is the case?

I am a little hesitant now about it. I know that each case is probably going to be different, but how do I know that in advance, or do I just keep taking the chance if I find music I love? I don't want you to think that I am too big of a jelly roll, I have written a long time and have my share of rejection letters in the closet lol, so I know how to accept that and have not had my desire to proceed squashed, but I guess I would like some of your more experienced professional advice regarding a new endeavor I wanted to try.

Thanks in advance for any helful insight you can give me,

Letha