I recall in 1998 when I first was on the net for student studies, 6 years before I placed up mp3's that the members honesty was judged by if they kept the same email link. The chat groups and message boards of course were quite a bit different.
Some of us have accumulated recordings to where there is a certain sound and a listeners base, even to a small level, whether that be put on stations or may have attracted a certain listenership. It is'nt that whether no one else listens or cares to begin with, it is having material for given genres and what listeners you are targeting. For an example, if Musician x is in the beginning stages of learning the blues, musician y as well as other listeners may not want to hear that on their normal artist page or go through the confusion of tracking down musician x's normal recordings. That would be the one other reason besides the more serious reason like someone's personal security, which has been stated in this thread, why there should be a seperate member name. That may be considered trivial with a member name, and I begun thinking that it is. But I like a seperate page in my artist account when it is learning certain styles that don't sound anything like what I normally do. There also may be one forum or another that will not take too much to a members normal recordings, but that member has something else musically that they want to work on. Having that with all the other songs could get a bit confuisng. As far as that type of forum goes, I am just beginning, and if they want to hear my normal stuff, that is available. I typically go with who loves me unless there is something else that forum has to offer.
Which is a lot to say about JPF.

Just throwing in another way of looking at it.

I don't change email name and the rare time I switched the account is when I am dissatisfied with the service, which I notify contacts about.

If you want to know about honesty though and being in darkness with a name, My God given name is already used by a professional.
I would'nt feel right using someone elses name to promote myself in the same field, even if that were legal.
My real last name is not Banx.