TAXi is actually an honest place to submit music. That being said, there's something about their system I do not like.

You are NEVER submitting to the people requesting, who will ultimately decide on your song. You submitting to a gate keeper.

The problem with that set up is that the gate keeper is very narrow. Anything that they percieve falls even slightly outside of what they believe the MIP ( music industry pro ) is looking for, they won't forward it.

Here's the problem I see with that. In marketing, there's a concept called 'point of purchase sale'. Someone goes into a convenience story to buy something, and when they are standing at the counter, some other stuff is sitting on the counter right in front of them, though not the actual item they were seeking, it's not too far off ( a different type of candy bar you didn't know exist, but looks good, etc ) and this often leads to a purchase they didn't realize they wanted.

Gate keepers effectively prevent the possibility of a point of purchase sale.

For example, say the MIP tells taxi they want "something that sounds like traditional country, and mention a couple of names "Johnny Cash, Merl Haggard", for example.

Say your composition is, indeed, an older style, in the general ballpark, but not a homerun, but in the above mold. Because its "not on target" ( TAXI's verbiage ) they won't forward it.

Thing is, these submissions are usually for spots in a TV show or Film, The producers/music directors/MIPs get this idea of what they want, but it's quite possible they might like something, because it is good, and it just may work in the script , a little outside their request parameters, because they can't foretell everything that might work, or they might like, until they see/hear it put right in front of them, similar to the 'point of purchase' example above.

Now, the TAXI guys do have a good rationale for doing this, and I understand it, they just want to prevent wasting their client's time, and that's understandable.

However, from my vantage point, what TAXI's needs are and mine are, as a composer, don't quite jive in this regard.

There, I'm done ranting. Just had to get that off my chest. I"m not knocking TAXI, this is one of the few honest submission places on the net.

I'm just sayin'

Last edited by Pat Hardy; 04/14/20 02:51 PM.