Originally Posted by Gary E. Andrews
Checking two sets of my Songs posted in the Lyric Feedback Forum, one just below the other, one is running five-to-one on views, the other set still about two-to-one. Fascinating that all the 'viewer' can possibly know is the title. They haven't heard it. They don't know me. The only motive for clicking to view is whatever they perceive in those three or four words in the titles, side by side.
Titles are of extreme importance in the singing of the Song and getting listeners singing along, 'memorizing', 'learning' the Song, hopefully wanting to hear it again. But there's something strategic about what motivates them when all they have is words on the printed page.
I'm thinking about who the 'consumer' of Songs would be who would first encounter a Song title on the printed page, and how that may make the difference between them taking action then to 'hear' what that title implies...to them. I don't think it's something you can plan beyond your inspiration to write the Song. I don't think I can recommend that you 'manufacture' your Song to enable you to have a 'click-me' title. I think I hear those manufactured Songs on the radio and they don't interest me, often the title being the only interesting Line in the Song. I think, "They should have started with that Line and wrote a Song based on that idea; not wrote Lines so they could land on that idea as THE Hook/title." Which is what I perceive they did, as the Lines may 'lead up to' that title idea, or they may simply Rhyme up to it, either way, not meeting my criteria for paying attention and wanting to hear it again.
I note that in each of the sets of two Songs it is the second one that gets the lion's share of views. So it's not that they clicked on the first one, liked it and so they clicked the second one. They skip the first one, based on the title only, I think, and click the second one. Fascinating, to me.

I think titles on a written word lyric forum have to matter. It's whatever catches the eye. But i think weird titles or funny titles or stupid titles can have the same affect, it doesnt neccessarily mean its a good song title. Shock value, and yeah more people will click it if its more interesting than I love you. If you said "I love you 9% more than yesterday" it would catch attention. Will it be a good song...errr who knows?