Mike, I think 9ne could probably have expressed himself better and I have no idea what he actually means by "I feel you're actually making the melody suffer by singing and playing at the same time...." Having said that, I actually take it as a compliment when someone offers feedback, even critical feedback on one of my songs. Without that honesty, there's not a lot of point in the exercise.

I think you just need to let 9ne say what he thinks, assess each point to see if it gives you ideas for improvements, and, if not, move past it. Criticisms can be right or wrong (subjectively, of course) and they can also be valid without having to be followed. Your lyric does wander a bit. I have a song like that and received the same criticism. I saw the critic's point, but decided to leave the song as it was, because I felt it still worked and, more importantly, so did others who reviewed it. I also wasn't able to think of a way of changing it that wouldn't destroy other things that were good about it. I still appreciated the comment though.

I've also had the same comment about the chorus in one of my songs. On that occasion, I did change the song and the result was a big improvement. Maybe you could add emphasis to the transition between verse and chorus by simply adding "And you know that..." before the chorus and singing a little louder there. Or going up instead of down at the end of the first line.

I think we all need a thick skin and the ability to view feedback dispassionately without taking it personally, asking...

Does he have a point?
If I follow his advice, will it improve my song?

Having said all that, of course, I'm as fond as anyone of a slap on the back and "Great song." smile Encouragement is also an important part of being here.