Originally Posted by December Rock Star
Then who writes my songs, sings, plays all the instrumentation? grin

Only so much time in the day. If you spend the next two years learning how to record, what happens to your playing and writing chops?

I hear ya--there's only so much time, and carving out more always entails some sort of sacrifice. But I'm actually one of those guys who did this after discovering this place. After being disconnected from songwriting for over a dozen years, I felt the need to get back to it, and ended up finding JPF. I ended up getting very involved writing and collaborating and critiquing new songs. I was still working with cassette tape, and realized it was time to dive into this digital recording thing. So the past few years have been spent learning how to produce my own songs to broadcast quality, and it has paid off. Now I'm getting these recordings signed to music supervisors for use in TV and Film. The further I go, the more opportunities present themselves. And I'm really enjoying the outlet for my songs--I enjoyed making music anyway, but now it's even leading to income again, thanks to learning some basic recording skills.

But to answer your question of what happens to your playing chops if you decide to take the time to learn how to engineer your own recordings at home? Well, mine didn't get any worse, so I'll say "nothing!"