Originally Posted by Everett Adams
How many are there and what are they called? How do you determine what you are? How many octaves is it normal for a male to be able to do?

Everett, at first, I didn't understand what you were trying to ask...... "How do you determine what you are"? Answer, Look south with no clothes on. smile

OK,,,so once I got what you were really meant....: I think "Range" is what you are really after here.

1. Start to sing any sound at the lowest sound possible. Play the piano or guitar to find where you went down to,,,,OR, start somewhere on the piano and match it, going lower and lower till you can't sing. Do the same for going up to the high notes of your voice/piano. (in natural voice). Once you have those extreme low and high notes, take off a few notes till you actually sound listenable. That will be your singing range, and you can then see how many octaves, including the fraction needed to then say you can sing so many octaves,,,,from this note to that, (low to high).

2. You can then start from the highest note of yours and sing falsetto, to keep going up to find your falsetto range, with the same principle of taking off a few notes so it's listenable to most people,,,not just screaming to say you hit that note!

It's the "range" I think you are really asking about, with octaves just another way of saying what your range is. The notes named (Count the note from the end of the piano to determine what specific pitch of that note is. (Like A3, the third A on the piano, or whatever note is your good low note). Do the same for the high note of your GOOD range, say am F4. That would be almost be two octaves, but better info to know and to tell anyone who needs to know what your range actually is. (Specific notes).

John

Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522