Originally Posted by Fdemetrio

What I meant was, his audience is women and gay men. I'd call that a niche, but he did get mega radio play.

its very niche anyway, it's highly pop, based in hooks and selling records, nothing wrong with that, but to me greatness in songwriting goes a bit beyond that. To each his own.

how many straight men would you expect to find at a George Michael concert? I think I'd find a lot more at an Elton John concert cause he has wider appeal and reaches a more rounded audience

Fd...I don't understand.

I am not an advocate for George Michael, but when I saw the documentary after his death, I was stunned at how many big (and good) songs he had written for himself and others. Gotta give credit where it's due. "Careless Whisper" is still one of my favorite songs.

At the peak of his career, Wham and then Michael were arguably the biggest stars in music. It's inarguable that he was filling giant arenas all over the world. If he's to be considered a niche artist, then I suppose Taylor Swift is a niche artist whose appeal is limited to now adult, teen girls.