Mr. Rice and Mr. Becker, Calvin, James, Travis, Bud, Janice, and Colin..

Thanks everyone!

When Ricki and I talked about what I might try for this, I mentioned Ten Years After, cuz I heard a bit of "I'd Love To Change The World" in the chord changes, and thought where she took it vocally, late, had a hard rock sound to it. Well I soon realized the "heaviness" was overwhelming her voice a bit, and thought that a lighter, more British Roots rock sound might work--the kind that Richard Thompson made popular with Fairport Convention, where his lead guitar may be found to be playing melodically while the singer sings--but it doesn't clash cuz the playing is clean and simple and feels more "textural" than melodic. I love how the piece keeps driving and building, 'til the end, even though it stops a couple times.

Ricki's songwriting is always top-notch and I love working with her, and I'm finding out as I go how it comes-to-be that her songs can have so much variety, style wise..and that's cuz she knows a LOT of music--has many reference points from which to hip-shoot from. For one, she had a much better memory of Ten Years After than me. smile

Mike

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)